I'd like to control my liftmaster garage door

What are you guys using to monitor, open, and close your garage door. I’d like to continue to use the current hardware that I have, I.E the current button. Is there a way to add an additional button that connects via zwave? I’d also like to avoid using any system that requires me to sign up for an account, requires internet, etc.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

What voltage is the circuit? The Aeotec Nano switch works at 24VDC to 230VAC.

My garage door has a wall-mounted control box with a push button; I soldered a cable to that push button and connected the other end to a relay connected to an ESP8266. Likewise I installed a heavy-duty reed switch at the bottom of the door, again connected to the ESP8266, to know whether the door is open or closed.
In HA I combined these two using a cover template.

1 Like

I also used an ESP8266 and a relay in the pushbutton circuit. I use the aREST interface with HA, and it works great. I recommend monitoring the door with video if you’re going to remotely move the door.

A zwave relay is also a good solution, but more expensive than the 8266/relay.

I use zwave door sensor connected to wired Reed switch that operate by magnet.

I operate door using the remote wired to relays controlled by esp8266

I do not know, I’ll have to look when I get home.

@ceh @exxamalte @tmjpugh , Nice. I’ll take a look at this esp8266 device. This looks like the route i’d want to go.

Is it a newer door or older door opener?

The newer style doors (with security) have a rolling code generator so you need a button that has that compatibility. The older doors use a straight dry contact button.

If you have the older door you can use any style of relay or contactor in parallel with your existing button. If you have the newer door opener it get’s much harder.

For the newer style you can look at opengarage. It has a security enabled module that you can add on. The total cost for the whole thing the last time I looked was around $80 (US).

Same here - I 'm also using an ESP8266:

I put mine together based on this:

But I used the easier wiring from here:

The great thing about this code version is that I can update it OTA :slight_smile:

It’s newer, and I know it has a rolling code. It was a bitch to get it to connect to my car.

While I haven’t looked at every possibility, I found the most promising tech for that case is opengarage. They offer a complete setup for around $80 the last I looked a couple if months back. It includes the esp8266, the relays, the sonic distance sensor and a security compatible module in a case for that price. It doesn’t apply to you but if you don’t need the security compatibility its $25 less.