IDE to develop a component?

Hi,

I am pretty new in python and I want to develop/debug a new component. I would like to know how you guys debug your components? Is it possible to use an IDE to fully start home-assistant and go step by step in the selected component? I tried to start the home-assistant solution with Visual Studio (python) but it was not a success. Maybe I am missing something or it is just not possible.

Thanks

MS Visual Studio Code is somewhat common. Not sure about the answer to your Q though as I haven’t yet made a complete component.

Some guys are using PyCharm, Atom, Sublime, other just a text editor (gedit, notepad++, vi). I guess that it depends on the personal preferences.

Another vote for PyCharm - I just made the switch from Notepad++ and I haven;t looked back. For AppDaemon development I can use the built in debugger to single step, set watches etc. which is useful on occasion although I am not above using print statements for my quick debugging :slight_smile:

I haven’t used PyCharm to set up and Run HASS for debugging but I would expect it to work fine.

I like Kate :slight_smile:

thanks, i will take a look at pycharm

Currently using pycharm to browse code. Besides Visual Studio Code I think also Visual Studio Community 2015 has python extension that can be added, the 2017 community version did not have support for python last time I checked.

Python in Visual Studio 2017 is available for all editions.

Instructions on how to set up the IDE correctly for debugging (while using virtualenv etc.) would be great

Either PyCharm, VS Code, Atom etc. because I think those three are very common

I second that.
This is a very common question and as beginners we usually cannot figure it out without help.

Development feels much more like trial and error than I would like :confused: