If you use homekit, here's a great way to use your location in HA

I use Apples home app for location. Its not the most elegent solution but it works.

Here’s what I do:

• Configure location in home app
  • Let the home app trigger a device that can be used in HA
  • Use the state of device to trigger automation in HA

As of now, I have a dlink w215 switch connected with homebridge. Leaving home turns on the switch, witch trigger automation in HA. Coming home turns off the switch, which triggers automation in HA.

I’ve used philips hue before instead of w215. I used a certain rgb color as trigger for HA.

To summarize, I’m using homekit to trigger HA regarding location updates.

do you need an ipad or appletv to use homekit location? I currently have homekit-homebridge installed but I do not get the location options for automations.

Yes, since it uses HomeKit so update location it needs the requirements iOS 10 for automations. An iPad or Apple TV.

Is there any way to then integrate this into an existing device_tracker status?

Whether it be through a custom device tracker component or by sending a service command?

EDIT: Found the answer to my own question, now I have an excuse to buy an AppleTV…

This may help you:

1 Like

I believe the same approach could be used to read the state of Homekit sensors into HA. For example, I have the Elgato door sensor, but currently cant read its state (open/closed) in HA. I will try setup an input boolean as a switch that can be exposed to the iOS Home app via Homebridge. I then use the Automations within the home app to toggle the switch. If anyone has done this already be good to hear about it :slight_smile:
Cheers

EDIT: @RitteT already doing this I believe

Yes, I’m doing this and have van bridge everything between HomeKit and HA using homebridge.

1 Like