IFTTT now requires subscription. Any alternatives to integrate with Google Assistant?

As you may notice, IFTTT introduces Pro subscription. Free tire allows us to creates as much as 3 applets.

Personally, I use IFTTT to trigger actions from Google Assistant. 3 applets are obviously not enough to maintain everything I need.

I suppose other users of Home Assistant might have similar problems. Any chance to find an alternative? Maybe we can register Google Assistant keyphrases, right from Home Assistant?

When was this? Or possibly where? I have about a dozen applets, all free.

Sorry - just followed the link. Not at all clear how this is going to work. Is the subscription scheme going to apply to new users only? Are we going to lose all but three applets, or does all this apply only to the fancy new applets with conditions and stuff?

Looking at the Pricing page it sounds as if the free plan still allows you to use an unlimited numer of applets, you just can’t create them yourself. This may be doable, since a lot of companies have created applets to go with the devices they’re selling. May be an issue if you use webhooks.

They have a rather odd offer by which you can set your own monthly subscription as long as you do it soon. The options are $3.99, $5.99 and $9.99. Hm. Quite clever actually. :thinking:

Not using it myself, but there is a dutch equivalent to IFTTT which is (stil) free i think https://olisto.com/

I tried Olisto, but it doesn’t seem to have a Google Assistant integration.

I also found corresponding threads on Reddit:

Nope they’re applying it across the board. Every applet you created yourself (ie most applets) will be affected. At some point they’ll make you pick three to keep and the rest get disabled unless you pony up. No grandfathering in users or applets at all. Really shitty of them TBH and it’s easy to see why everyone’s angry at them.

The pick your own price thing started as an introductory offer to soften the blow for a year, but they’ve backpedalled as a result of the angry backlash and said if you set your own price before October 7th they’ll honour it forever. I believe the minimum is $2 unless they’ve got rid of that since.

1 Like