IKEA Fyrtur blind sometimes opens just few centimeters, how to debug?

I have a fyrtur blind paired to DeConz and HA. It mostly works perfectly except one annoying problem which is very difficult to debug.

Around 1 in 10 times, the blind doesn’t open completely. It stops after just a couple of centimeters (maybe 3-5 cm). It is opening just for a second or two before it stops.

It looks that the problem only happens when the blind is opened through an automation which is triggered automatically in the morning. I didn’t see it happen when opening via a button, but it can just be a coincidence.

I am using the cover.open_cover service to open the blind. Other than that there is no action in the automation.

This a trace of an automation run which didn’t fully open the blind. As you can see, there is nothing suspicious:

The automation code is very simple:

id: '1618740620348'
alias: 'WAKE UP: Open blinds'
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: calendar.waking_up_calendar
    to: 'on'
condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: calendar.waking_up_calendar
    state: Waking up (just blinds)
    attribute: message
action:
  - service: cover.open_cover
    target:
      device_id: 7e3a69a5e68bdbb9999973be9ed84279
mode: single

There is nothing in the logs or logbook.

Any idea what can be going wrong here? Or how to debug this problem?

EDIT: Found a similar problem reported on reddit. They suggest it’s the hardware problem which I didn’t consider, because it only happens infrequently… hmm.

Hi, what I know is (based on my own painful experience :wink: ): Ikea smart home devices sometimes get bitchy. Therefore, I would definitely consider the unit itself as the cause of the problem.

Have you already played with service: cover.set_cover_position and entity state instead of „device“?

Yea, I read similar comments about the fyrtur blinds having all kinds of issues. So perhaps it’s really a faulty unit.

I haven’t, but good idea. I will!