IKEA light on Hue hub, scene doesn't change brightness

I have a few IKEA lights with color temperature on a Hue hub. I use scenes, like this:

- name: kitchen_normal
   entities:
     light.kitchen_table:
       state: on
       brightness: 200  
       color_temp: 380

- name: kitchen_bright
   entities:
     light.kitchen_table:
       state: on
       brightness: 254 
       color_temp: 200

The problem is that only the color temperature is changing when I change the scene, the brightness stays the same. If I comment out the color_temp lines, the brightness changes. It works well with the Hue bulbs I have, only the IKEA bulbs are misbehaving. Is this a bug or what?

1 Like

It seems to be like this when a Ikea gateway is used as well. Is it s bug in the light itself? How do others handle scene changes with both brightness and color temperature?

I have the same effect when using the conbee stick with the deconz component.

If a scene defines both brightness and color_temp with transition, then only color changes. If I only define either brightness or color alone with transition, it works, or both settings at the same time work if transition is set to 0.

Now, the question is, is this a bug in the bulb firmware or can this be resolved somehow. It seems that if you use moods defined with the ikea app/gateway and change them, it is correctly working?

Hey there,

I have the exact same problem.
Even using the scenes from the official Hue app, some bulbs will end up not reacting . . . and it will even go as far as messing with the Hue scene.
The scene will end up in the broken state and that broken state will be saved as the new value for the Scene.

Huge disappointment on that part, but I think it’s on the Zigbee driver side of thing.
What seems to happen is that the Tradfri / Ikea bulbs discard a new command if they are doing something.
Doing something I mean transitioning either color or brightness.

Say it takes 5s to transition from white to yellow, any command sent during that timespan will be discarded. It’s a guess, but an educated one, after spending hours trying to debug that :slight_smile:

The solution I found to have reliable scene activation 100% of the time is to:

• Use scripts instead of scenes
  • Split the calls between setting the brightness and setting the level
  • Explicitly specify the transition time (in seconds)
  • Add a delay between the 2 actions equal to the transition time

It looks like this:

alias: Evening Scene
sequence:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: group.living_room
      brightness: 102
      transition: 1

- delay:
      seconds: 1

- service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: group.living_room
      color_temp: 450
      transition: 1

But still I would love to see a fix for this, it’s actually a huge deal having to go through such complexity for such a simple action.

In any case, if that helps someone, it’s somethings :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks Florian Kempenich, another alternative is to set the transition to 0, but it’s bad to see when it changes.

1 Like

Two years later, this workaround still works for a recent Ikea Tradfri bulb, purchased in June 2020. Did someone find a fix to make scenes work for Ikea Tradfri bulbs?

Im new to this - what does it mean to use scripts instead of scenes? I have the same problem so I would like to be able to use this work around.

Many thanks for this. Was wondering why I couldn’t get my Tradfri lamps to change color and brightness at the same time. Seems like they can’t. Never mind, your suggestion works just as well.

I made a workaround script that will resend the brightness command a short delay after it has been tried changed.

It is not the ideal solution, but so far it’s been working great for me. Scenes works as expected now.

Hope it will be useful to someone