IKEA Smart Lighting (Zigbee)

My lightify app has always shown the tradfri bulb as “not paired correctly”, even though it works for On/Off/Dim. Is that something you got on yours too?

Yes, I got that too. I doesn’t bother me as long as I can control everything in HA. What bothers me a bit is that I have not found a way to tell HA about the supported features such as whether it supports RGB or white_value to have it displayed properly in the frontend. I thought about modifying the lightify component, but I don’t see a way to make the configuration on a bulb-by-bulb basis.

Hey All. I was able to get the Tradfri up and running with the official Ikea Tradfri hub and have it paired with HASS. It works great and allows both dimming and color temperature control. On/off and other changes happen very quick, and I’m very happy I was able to use the included Tradfri remotes to get rid of my Dash button hack.

One other note, I was able to get the Tradfri bulbs to pair with my Wink Hub. In the “Add a new light” section select Link Light Bulb (GE). Follow the instructions Wink gives you and it will pair. The bulb itself won’t blink like Wink says it should, but after a few seconds it will pop up with a confirmation that you are paired.

The gotcha is that I couldn’t figure out a way for the bulb to both be paired to the Tradfri remote AND Wink at the same time.

I chatted with a nice Ikea employee today that said Ikea has a lot more in store for us in the Tradfri line. It sounds like we’ll see new releases in the next couple months. I’m looking forward to it!

First let me start by saying thanks to the people in the community that have worked on getting IKEA Trådfri to work with home-assistant.

I have tried https://github.com/hardillb/TRADFRI2MQTT which do find the motion sensor when it runs it’s device check, but it dont trigger on it afterwords. Atleast not as far as I can see :frowning:

By tweaking the python code (ikea-smartlight), I have been able to see that it do register the device like this

{“9001”:“My sensor 1”,“9002”:1492885121,“9020”:1492933562,“9003”:65540,“9054”:0,“5750”:4,“9019”:0,“3”:{“0”:“IKEA of Sweden”,“1”:“TRADFRI motion sensor”,“2”:"",“3”:“1.1.1.1-5.7.2.0”,“6”:3,“9”:100},“3300”:[{“9003”:0}]}

I was wondering if anyone have gotten the “Motion sensor” to work with home-assistant?

3 Likes

Very interested.
Actually I am interested in the Ikea stuff just for the accessories, especially the motion sensor

Very interested as well. Integration of motion sensor and remote would open up a whole range of new control possibilities.

Yesterday I asked Paulus, creator of HA and co-dev for the Tradfri integration, what the status is on local push. This is a feature that could really leverage the motion sensor/button/responsiveness and interaction with HA. But this is to be implemented, it doesn’t work so far. So be looking forward to future updates!

Is the IKEA hub required? Can I use my Hue hub + HASS?

So far my experience with motion sensor has been disappointing (RF433, Zigbee, Zwave), hope this will change

@robmarkcole Sorry, no, it doesn’t work. Hue and IKEA both choose a different approach to Zigbee (search voor ZLL and ZHA) so this way doesn’t work. The other way around though, Hue bulbs and an IKEA gateway, no problem.

1 Like

can we sell the Hue HUB, and just stay with the Ikea? Shortfalls?

All we need is RGB support in tradfri gateway and I might be seeing goodbye to my hue hub :slight_smile:
Do you know does ikea support colour temp with hue bulbs?

1 Like

@anon35356645 Selling the Hue hub might be too soon, mostly because Tradfri doesn’t support RGB and some other stuff. But that’s up to you, I’m keeping it for a couple of months :slight_smile: Personally I don’t use RGB at all but just to be sure I’m waiting with selling the hub.

@hijinx Yes, Tradfri gateway doesn’t support full RGB (atm) but it does support color temperature and works really nice with HA!

2 Likes

I have one RGB bulb and it might be finding itself on ebay in the near future…
Id keep my white bulbs.

1 Like

did you get these questions answered? Have basically the same doubts!!!

As far as I understand correctly this will eventually be possible, but not right now and not out of the box. The latest update (0.44) provides a way to natively talk with Zigbee devices in your house right from HA. But for this you need a Zigbee USB drive. Basically this would turn your HA computer into a Zigbee hub and you can get rid of other hubs if you want to. This allows HA to pick up signals from buttons/motion detectors and other Zigbee stuff, as well as get more direct information about the state of a lightbulb.

However, as the blogpost describes this doesn’t work for IKEA Tradfri yet. And there is currently also one Zigbee USB device supported so you would have to buy that specific one.

So yes, it will eventually work just not right now.

In the OSRAM gateway the motion sensor is detected but I guess the device does not have a working handler.

{“deviceId”:2,“deviceType”:“LIGHT”,“manufacturer”:“OSRAM”,“modelName”:“TRADFRI motion sensor”,“name”:null,“groupList”:[],“bmpClusters”:null,“online”:0,“on”:1,“brightnessLevel”:1.0,“hue”:303.75,“saturation”:1.0,“temperature”:0,“firmwareVersion”:“11115720”,“color”:“10000F”}

I do not understand there is a E27 bulb 1000lumen ayt 10 Euro and a E27 bulb 980 lumen at 25 Euro

Can anyone see a logic???

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/10318263/

http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/products/60338452/

what’s the current status, can I just buy the bulbs and integrate in HASS, or gateway is obligatory?

One is warm white only, the other is tuneable colour temperature.