Ikea Tradfri 5-button remote doesn't trigger automation

After some fiddling, I finally got the Tradfri remote to be recognized by my Zigbee controller. When I went to set up my automation, it doesn’t actually fire the automation.

When I press the “on” button, the UI flashes saying that it received the trigger but the automation doesn’t run. When I click on “Run” in the Actions menu, the automation does run and turns my light on.

Is there something that’s needed to actually run the automation from the button trigger?

Here’s the automation:

- id: '0a8d783d-17be-4b3b-8c35-553daf1a1c32'
  alias: New Automation
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - device_id: ...
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
    subtype: turn_on
  condition: []
  action:
  - type: toggle
    device_id: ...
    entity_id: light.huelight
    domain: light
  mode: single

Quick edit: It looks like if you split out your automations into different files, you can’t have automations within the main automations.yaml file.

Lesson learned :sweat_smile:

Hi,
Firstly, can I suggest using the forum search, as there are a LOT of issues with the IKEA TRÅDFRI 5-button Zigbee remote for battery life, Zigbee coverage, and events.

TL;DR - configure Zigbee firmware updates, get the latest 0x24040005 firmware to fix battery and Zigbee issues, then update HASS to at least 2023.03 to get the latest quirks file.

If the firmware and quirks file match, you should see events in Logbook, and device triggers in the automation editor. If the versions don’t match, you might not get any events, and nothing to select in the editor.

The most recent firmware 0x24040005 has fixed the battery drain issues for me, and it now uses Zigbee routers properly. The downside, is it changed the event model - hence the need for a new quirks file:

Thanks for the reply and it does look like my remote is having button issues. It completely stopped registering and doesn’t register anymore. I think my battery is dead after just two weeks of very little use.

CR2032 can die in 24 hours - search for the thread; update the firmware!

Hi, I use multiple trädfri 5-button remotes and they work without any issue.
Have you seen this blueprint: Controller - IKEA E1524/E1810 TRÅDFRI Wireless 5-Button Remote | Awesome HA Blueprints

You mean the firmware on the controller, right? I have the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus. The only instructions I’ve been able to find is these instructions which look very advanced, even for a fully fledged linux developer.

Is there an easier way to run an update on the controller?

EDIT: It turns out that there is

No, the firmware on the IKEA remote itself - there are major changes to fix battery life, Zigbee routers, and to improve the button actions.

The links already posted have details…

# Manual config to enable Zigbee firmware updates
# https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha
zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true                        # Auto update Trådfri devices
      ledvance_provider: true                    # Auto update LEDVANCE/OSRAM devices
      salus_provider: true                       # Auto update SALUS/Computime devices
      #otau_directory: /path/to/your/ota/folder  # Utilize .ota files to update everything else
  # https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers/discussions/693#discussioncomment-857274
  #custom_quirks_path: /config/custom_zha_quirks/

Thanks for the config. I read through your post in your original reply. Some of the things didn’t apply to me. All of the buttons work as expected sans the automations since I hadn’t programmed anything except the on button.

I figured my battery issue was due to it being an Ikea product :sweat_smile:

I’ve successfully updated Ikea remote to the latest firmware Firmware: 0x23014631