IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I tried the blueprint first, unless I missed something it is a limitation of how you can bind the actions, IE you could bind a short press and a long press action but you can’t have the same action interupt an active action. Also to replicate the OUT OF THE BOX direct binding with multipule blinds you would need to write A LOT of automations off the blue print, and increase that if you want more than one blind to follow the same behaviour.

Or you can go into zibee2mqtt, select bind, select the blind, wake the remote. and hit save. Repeat for multiple blinds per remote if you want DONE

If you want to use the remote for other things SURE you can setup automations with the blueprint… My only point is that if you want to use the up down buttons to control the blinds, it is easier AND more reliable to direct bind them.

This has gone way off topic guys.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s related to binding set in zigbee network. There is no reason to not expose button events to HA. (considering that coordinator gets those messages)

And if your HA is offline then you and your familly are not able to toggle a light. Really „smart” approach.
In fact binding buttons to devices (if makes sense) is the best feature of zigbee network. HA might provide additional control over it like autonations or just show devices state. but there is no reason to give to it exclusive control of averything

Yeah, not really an issue for me…

… if your HA is offline you need to sort that out so it isn’t a problem for you.

pal, I can see 2 week uptime on your screenshot. If you show me 2 years then we can back talking about reliability. Each update disables HA for a while.

6 hours short of 3 weeks…

On my server we are talking a few minutes… not exactly an issue for someone wanting to operate smart devices since I choose when to hit the update button.

Anyway, as I said previously… OFF TOPIC.

On the original topic I have had my current zigbee2mqtt config in place with sonoff firmware updated for close to two weeks.

Looks like all my remotes have shown no or little drop in reported % in that time. So no more instant discharge in a day… Will have to look at the numbers after 4 weeks to better estimate how long they might last.

1 Like

Thanks for you help, you have come the closest of anyone to solve this…

One more question… how close is your zigbee stick to your buttons? Same room? Are you using IKEA powered zigbee repeaters?

Many are finding that batter drain can also be related to the distance to the hub/repeater/usb stick.

Thanks again.

My remote that is the furthest away is probably about 6-7 m more or less line of sight (a bookshelf full of board games, but no walls).
No repeaters.
So far no issues with battery drain.

I have an Ikea repeater in each room as close as possible to the remotes and blinds. When joining the devices to the network in zigbee2mqtt I opened the closest repeater and made sure I joined the remote and blinds to the same / closest repeater.

In my case the repeaters on the same wall as the blinds or remotes or just adjacent. My home is multi floor so I have one midway between the rooms with the blinds and the stick witch is on the other end of the house.

Since this thread is very long I am going to re-share my info and config changes as they currently are:

Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus ( ZStack Firmware Type: zStack3x0 Revision: 20211217 )
Zigbee2mqtt ( 1.22.2 commit: 414c51f Docker Install)
TRADFRI open/close remote (E1766) Firmware: 2.3.079
FYRTUR roller blind (E1757) Firmware: 2.3.088

Configuration settings that differ from out of the box default for zigbee2mqtt (probably not as important for the battery issue but repeating as they can be related to the devices dropping issue from another thread)

Everyone read the docs and remembered to set this false right? Other wise every time you reboot zigbee2mqtt it goes into join all mode by default.

permit_join: false

Track when devices checked in:

advanced:
  last_seen: ISO_8601_local

Ping / Report devices are down if they did not check in… This is more aggressive than the default FYI

availability:
  active:
    timeout: 15
  passive:
    timeout: 780
2 Likes

Hi all, I am happy to report that it looks like the “Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” dongle along with the “Z-Stack-firmware/coordinator/Z-Stack_3.x.0 at master · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · GitHub” firmware linked to in this video “Easy Sonoff Zigbee CC2652 Firmware Upgrades! + Other Ethernet / USB - YouTube” seemed to do the trick.

I have been running for ~3 days with no significant drop to my batteries (that’s right, day 3 baby!):

As for the setup, I am running the following to do this:

• Zigbee2mqtt add-on in home assistant
  • Addressing the dongle by it’s ID
  • “CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_*.zip” based on the video reccomendation

I have noticed an issue with my one PIR sensor (it is not resetting after detecting motion) but I suspect that it is unrelated as all the other nodes are working well. Side note the link quality has improved A LOT.

2022-01-27 07_49_19-Zigbee2mqtt - Home Assistant

NOTE: I had to move my Z-Wave dongle to another computer as it seems that they share the same comms protocol and I was having issues running them both at the same time in my NAS.

5 Likes

I have an update now.
The first battery has died.
It was the remote in the living room, a Symfonisk bought in June last year so six - seven months now.
It’s used to control volume of the TV/receiver, play/pause DVD/Chromecast, fast forward/reverse Chromecast.
It’s used heavily every day.

Using ZHA and Conbee II on a RPi with 1 meter extension on the USB port

Just wanted to report in and say that @BlinkyLights solution has so far been working well for me.
I ended up flashing the CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_coordinator_20211217 firmware on my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus.
Only been a week and seeing the battery on 2 x dual button switches and 1 x 5 button switch at the common 87%, whereas with ZHA they would be dead by now. Thanks again! :battery:

1 Like

Previously I had a ezsp-uart stick from elelabs and had a similar issue on a Raspberry pi 3B model. Had the battery issue, so ordered a sonoff 3.0 usb dongle in november.
Received it today, and hooked up one of the ikea on off remote, and it dropped from 100 to 35% battery in 3 hours and then to 21% in remaining 5 hours.

It seems moving to usb 3.0 doesn’t work for me.

Just a side note, philips hue remote is hooked up to the previous stick and its been 3 months no issues with the battery still. Works like a charm.
It makes me think something with ikea’s implementation of zigbee that is messing up.

Just an update on my most recently added IKEA remote. Still sitting on 100% after roughly 6 weeks.

Using ZHA and a Conbee 2 stick.

This remote below has run for months on the same battery:

Which firmware version are you running on the sonoff stick?

Just flashed the sonoff usb 3.0 dongle plus with CC2652P as per the instructions here Flashing the firmware via cc2538-bsl | Zigbee2MQTT and as suggested by @BlinkyLights

My ikea on off switch whose battery went down from 100 to 21% in a matter of 8 hours, it now shows 34% after flashing the adapter. Will keep posted.

It was the default one.
But I just flashed (around 20 minutes ago) the 20211217 firmware version.
Connected the ikea on off remote and currently see a jump to 34% in the battery.

Will try it for a few days and see if it improves anything

great, please report back as it seems to have worked for others. I hope to have some time this weekend to update mine and will also report back