IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I ended up switching to Zigbee2MQTT which (at the time) let me update the firmware and suddenly everything was fixed. I realize ZHA now has firmware updates so this might be a valid way to go now. I much prefer Zigbee2MQTT → BUT → if ZHA can do firmware updates I might consider switching back.

I ended up direct-binding the remotes to some lights and they’ve been going 7-8 months strong after the firmware update. Good luck!

1 Like
  1. I have “the IKEA remote control battery drain” problem (Y/N): Yes
  2. My zigbee dongle (or hub or bridge) is: Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB
  3. Firmware version of the zigbee dongle: Z-Stack 3.30+ (build 20210708)
  4. HA controller stack (zha / z2m / conbee): ZHA
  5. The version of the controller stack: (HA 2022.10.1)
  6. Name / model # of the IKEA Tradfri device: TRADFRI 5 button switch
  7. Firmware version of the IKEA Tradfri device: 0x23080631

Would recommend you start from updating the firmware of the ZBDongle.
The next would be to add mains powered zigbee router devices (plugs, repeaters) between the Ikea button and the ZBDongle coordinator.

Just for my understanding - how newer version of Z-Stack controller can improve situation with the battery drain in the end-device to do? I’ve checked the change log of Koenkk z-Stack coordinator and didn’t find anything which can potentially improve the energy leak. Or you know something specific?

Right now I observe an everyday battery drain on TRADFRI on/off switch by IKEA of Sweden device running firmware 0x23079631. I’ve enabled the zigpy OTA in a home that the button will pick-up the latest firmware version 0x23087631 and that will stop battery drain.

The last event related to the button in the ZHA logs:

Bed Light Controller Zha Event was fired - 15:33:53 - 1 hour ago
Bed Light Controller Checkin event was fired - 09:06:09 - 8 hours ago

Which is similar to what other reports.

I just did this a couple of days ago. Will see if that changes things. My Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 coordinator and all devices are supposedly up-to-date.

Remote firmware 0x23080631 did seem to improve battery life for my devices, however it’s not perfect.

After moving one remote to be 2m from a IKEA mains switch, the batteries only last a week.

I’ve just upgraded from a Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 (original firmware) to NabuCasa Yellow so it will be interesting to see if the different radio hardware changes performance.

My current fix is to use a magnet to stick a pack of IKEA CR2032 under my coffee table - a poor engineering solution that works! :man_shrugging:t2:

Since my last post the button is still running the mention software version and ate another 2 coin batteries. One battery a day so say. The update is not picked up. I tried to force the update using OTA image notification but hit another bug in ZHA Crash while sending Zigbee command over ZHA integration · Issue #80157 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

The last thing the button says before it’s dead is still:

Bed Light Controller Zha Event was fired
03:53:50 - 4 hours ago

Any updates on this test?? Cheers

1 Like
  1. I have “the IKEA remote control battery drain” problem (Y/N): Y
  2. My zigbee dongle (or hub or bridge) is: GoControl HUSBZB-1 (says Nortek on it)
  3. Firmware version of the zigbee dongle: 6.7.8 (updated using this)
  4. HA controller stack (zha / z2m / conbee): zha
  5. The version of the controller stack: Not sure, whatever shipped with HA 2022.5
  6. Name / model # of the IKEA Tradfri device: Shortcut button and Wireless dimmer
  7. Firmware version of the IKEA Tradfri device: Latest on all, updated over ZHA
  8. Other things to note (observations, battery drain rate, etc.): Maybe that thing about pairing it to a routing device instead of directly to the stick has a point; however, mine would soon drift to other routers or directly to the stick no matter what I paired it with.
1 Like
  1. I have “the IKEA remote controle battery drain” problem: Y
  2. My zigbee dongle is: Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 ZNP = Texas Instruments Z-Stack ZNP protocol: CC253x, CC26x2, CC13x2
    by ZHA
  3. Firmware version of the zigbeen dongle: I could not find that in HA
  4. HA controller stack: ZHA
  5. The version of the controller stack: 2022.10.4
  6. Name / model # of the IKEA Tradfri device: E1810 Tradfre Remote
  7. Firmware version of the IKEA Tradfri device: Could not find in HA, could not find an option to update in HA
  8. Other things of note (observation, battery drain rate, etc.): I am having this happen with a Tuya 4 button switch also (zhaquirks.tuya.ts0044.TuyaSmartRemote0044TO). I got both switches a few months and struggled to figure out how to connect them HA. HA crashed when I was working on that and I was unable to log in after restarting the PI and had to start over with a new install of HA. They both sat with their batteries in them for a month while I was busy. When I came back to HA updates seem to have made it very easy to integrate both switches, but the next morning the batteries were dead in both.

Any updates on this test?

1. I have “the IKEA remote control battery drain” problem (Y/N): Yes
  2. My zigbee dongle (or hub or bridge) is: SONOFF_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_V2
  3. Firmware version of the zigbee dongle: 6.10.3.0 build 297
  4. HA controller stack (zha / z2m / conbee): Zigbee2MQTT [1.28.1]
  5. The version of the controller stack: HA2022.11.0b7
  6. Name / model # of the IKEA Tradfri device: TRADFRI remote control (E1524/E1810)
  7. Firmware version of the IKEA Tradfri device: 2.3.080 (20210727 Latest on all, updated over Z2M)
  8. Other things of note (observation, battery drain rate, etc.): The charge of one battery is disposed of in less than a day. Other remotes and buttons on the network do not consume so many batteries.

I am really looking forward to solving this problem

Hello, I had the same problem, and I’ve been looking for a solution for half a year. There is a “sonoff zigbee bridge” for which I use esphom, with tcp. The coordinator does not wake up my Ikea battery switches only when I press its button. here is the yaml if anyone wants to test it.

esphome:

name: sonoff-zigbee-bridge
external_components:

• source: github://oxan/esphome-stream-server
    esp8266:

board: esp_wroom_02

Enable Home Assistant API

api:

ota:

password: “8df5770dc4532d5740d50c679bf046a8”

wifi:

ssid: !secret wifi_ssid

password: !secret wifi_password

Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails

ap:

ssid: "Sonoff-Zigbee-Bridge"

password: "H87eHOqH0bNe"

captive_portal:

i2c:

sda: 12

scl: 14

scan: true

id: bus_a

uart:

id: uart_bus

tx_pin: GPIO1

rx_pin: GPIO3

baud_rate: 115200

stream_server:

uart_id: uart_bus

port: 7759

binary_sensor:

• platform: gpio

pin:

number: GPIO16

mode:

input: true

inverted: true

name: “ParingLed”

switch:

pin: GPIO4

name: “Zig Reset”

name: “Paring”

pin: GPIO0

id: link

status_led:

pin:

number: GPIO13

inverted: true

And when you want to start the zigbee chip, you have to turn on the “Zig Reset” switch, and then you can add socket://“Ip”:7759 to the ZHA. It hasn’t been worth the batteries for me for days.
The zigbee chip has ncp-uart-nsw_6.7.9_115200.ota, I installed it with Tasmota and it is stable.

I have some wireless (battery-powered) Legrand with Netatmo dimmer devices that are having this same quick battery drain issue in ZHA. I’m wondering if adding them to the ignore list would be helpful. Is there a way to test this on my instance? Is the ignore list something that can be defined as a configuration variable, or altered outside the core codebase?

1 Like

Hi guys!
I’ve had the same battery drain issue with Trådfri E1810 and Styrbar E2002 remotes with Sonoff ZBDongle-E. I have several remotes in use and have technically identical HA setups both at my home and at my cottage.

For now, I’ve been able to resolve the battery draining issue by doing the following things:

1. Trådfri remotes are updated to latest firmware version 0x23080631 by enabling the OTA update in configuration.yaml
  2. End devices cannot directly connect to the coordinator.

These are done with the following entry in the configuration.yaml:

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true
    ezsp_config:
      CONFIG_MAX_END_DEVICE_CHILDREN: 0

After changing these parameters, I initiated reconfiguration from HA UI for the remotes and after this took the batteries out of the remote and put them back in. It first updated the firmware and after that it was working as expected.

My setup is following:
Home Assistant running in a Docker container, version 2022.11.1
Sonoff ZBDongle-E, ZHA integration use in HA side; no firmware updates done
Ikea Trådfri E1810, Ikea Styrbar E2002 remotes

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks.

–J

Is this forcing the IKEA remotes to link to another powered zigbee device like a plug and then the plug routes it to the coordinator? What determines an end device vs another device?

How long have your batteries been running since these changes?

What I’ve gathered from different docs, it is exactly like you say. I actually found the tip to use this config from here .

I am not too familiar with Zigbee things yet, but what I’ve gathered is that you can have coordinators (the USB dongle in my case), routers (Ikea lamps, Osram plugs, Ikea ZB router you get with the blinds etc) and end devices (usually battery powered devices like mvmt sensors or remotes). It is not dynamically defined but a “feature” of the device itself. You can see from the device properties in HA which group the device belongs to.

Before doing these changes, the batteries lasted mere 12-24hrs. I’ve been running with this setup for over a week now without the power level dropping from whatever the percentage was at the moment of the change.

It also might be some coincidence or some other random crap happening behind the scenes making me think I solved the issue in my case but for now I am quite happy with the end result :slight_smile:

–J

2 Likes

My TRADFRI is far away from the coordinator. According to the diagram, I see that it connects to the nearest routers. And still the battery drains quickly.

And I do not know what settings should be changed in Z2M to fix the situation.