IKEA Tradfri Gateway with other Zigbee devices

Hello,
I understand that the IKEA Tradfri system uses a standards compliant Zigbee implementation. would it be technically possible to use the Tradfri gateway to control other Zigbee devices such as the Xiaomi Door/Window Sensor, Button and Temperature/Humidity sensors? If yes, is anyone working on implementing this?

2 Likes

What about the reverse, anyone tried to control Ikea Tradfri lamps with a different gateway?

I’d like to install some smart lights, but I want to avoid vendor lock-in. It would be great to mix devices from Ikea (cheaper lamps), Philips (mood lighting) and Mi (sensors).

I use a smartthings hub with my trafdri lamps

Hi,

I would like to open the original question again. Can Ikea’s gateway be used with third party Zigbee products. I understand that an alternative is to use another gateway, but before going down that route I want to explore using the gateway I already have. I would primarily like to connect small switches to turn on and off lighting on my paintings.

3 Likes

did you get an answer to this? Also curious about buying a tradfri gateway not only for tradfri lights but also to use as a hub with other (non Ikea) Zigbee devices… Is it possible?

No - nothing of value. I guess I have to try.

Once Ikea releases their smart blinds I’ll be ready to buy something; unless I see/hear differently I’ll probably start with the Tradfri hub and hope it works whenever I want to add other non-ikea devices.

I don’t think so unless you replace the firmware on the Tradfri Gateway to your own version :slight_smile:

Ikea must allow this in their device explicitly. For example with Philips HUE you can control IKEA bulbs (if you patch the firmware on them first with the IKEA gateway).

This is a general issue at the moment and I saw such questions raised in another forums as people don’t want to pin the whole wall with gateways just to have their final complete setup. Ikea has the bulbs, switches, motion and socket for cheap price, xianomi has temperature and humidity sensor for just few bucks… and so on.

I think for an universal gateway, the only way would be using a Raspberry PI with a Zigbee comm module and pairing the different devices with a running smart home software which is capable to do this.

I’m using this for the most of my zigbee devices
I have osram and xiaomi devices connected to my universal hub.
For my hue devices I use the hue gateway. This is simply because I want the benefits like hue entertainment.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I was not aware of it’s so easy with HA. Finally I have to unbox my 3-4 years old RPi which I never used, haha. I’m currently running HA on Windows Server 2016 as Hyper-V guest. Unfortunately there is no way to bridge such an USB stick to the guest OS.
Anyway, this sounds interesting as I have only the TRADFRI gateway and don’t want to buy several others just to merge all of the devices to Apple Homekit. I started to use HA to be able to add the Tradfri outlets to Homekit as the IKEA guys got some delay with the Homekit integration. I have to replace my Elgato Eve Energy sockets ASAP as they became completely unreliable since Apple updated to IOS 12 and TVOS 12. These sockets control my heat exchanger air ventilation system in the house by CO2 measurement conditions.

Bumping this thread again, since some time has passed. Has anybody managed to use the IKEA Trådfri hub for connecting non-IKEA zigbee devices to HA (eg running on a rasberry pi)? I.e avoiding the need to buy a separate USB dongle with zigbee connectivity.

Wondering about this aswell, thinking about getting my girlfriend into home automation and I have some zigbee lights lying around, but don’t want to set her up with HA just yet, I think the Ikea gateway is a good starting alternative since she only wants to control one lamp at the moment.

I have the tradfri gateway and it doesn’t seem to have any option to connect to generic zigbee items. I am trying to pair it with a door lock with a zigbee module… no luck so far

hELLO EVERYBODY

I know this thread is old, but I was able to pair a Sonoff S31 lite zb with my Tradfri gateway. All I had to do was plug in the Sonoff plug to an extension cord to get it near the Tradfri gateway, push the pair button on the gateway, and it was done! Then in Home Assistant hit “reload” for the Tradfri integration and the Sonoff is visible there, and I can control it in HA.

I tried pairing now, but with no luck. I have an Ikea Trådfri Gateway and two Aqara temperature sensors. I had hopes that it would be possible, but I can’t see that they are pairing. Is there a difference between Sonoff and Aqara?

Xiaomi/Aqara zigbee devices know to not fully be Zigbee standard compliant.