Ikea Tradfri PIR Sensor Experience

I think you have to set up a single group with only the PIR in it. HA is discovering the groups and show the state of the sensor as the state of the group. I didn´t tried it myself, but i read it earlier somewhere.

1 Like

I have developed a component for RaspBee Zigbee module from Dresden Component so i can pair ikea trådfri to it and have access to events from these devices.

Hello. Can you share more details regarding your component?

@Lapatoc Yes, it’s a component that supports deConz REST API together with a RaspBee or Conbee. I support at the moment, IKEA ligts (E27 both with color and without, E14 and GU10), IKEA Motion Sensor, IKEA 5 button remote, Philips Dim Switch, Philips Hue Motion sensor and OSRAM Lightify Gardenpole (all devices that i have). The component works by using the deConz REST API for initial detection and changing light parameters. The component is NOT using polling but using Websockets to relay changes back to HASS. I support the lights and the groups created in deConz. In HASS i create entities for lights, groups, and the sensors. For the remote and motion sensors i also fire events in HASS which one can use in automations. All battery levels from the battery driven devices are created in HASS as sensors. Hope this answers your question. Will i share it ? Most likely yes but it’s way to ugly now.

6 Likes

Any update on this @donnib ? I know many of us would love to use the Tradfri PIR as a HA sensor! Thanks :slight_smile:

There is a PR for supporting deCONZ gateway for conbee and raspbee. @donnib has been instrumental in getting it to current level.

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/10321

Thanks @Robban. Although if I’m understanding correctly, we’ll need to purchase further hardware (on top of the current Tradfri bridge) such as a RaspBee ZigBee shield or a ConBee USB radio stick to make this work? :frowning:

Once you have the Conbee or RaspBee you’ll be able to pair your Tradfri lights/remotes/motion detectors to it directly and get rid of the Tradfri bridge.

1 Like

That’s a pity and a waste of money. Hopefully Ikea will update their bridge API to support PIR detection.

Send them an email! Their public API is supposedly in the works. Hearing from disgruntled users can help move things along.

Good suggestion :slight_smile: The tradfri team seem quite good, even reaching out to HA directly https://twitter.com/home_assistant/status/925373865802502144?lang=en

1 Like

I have good experiences with Xiaomi body sensors (cheap, very small and reliable) in combination with Ikea Tradfri. I use the sensors to switch the Ikea lights via a HASS automation and surprisingly there is almost no lag at all. This also enables you to add a bit more logic, such as only swichting on lights at certain times, LUX values, etc.

Is the lux working well for you?

Actually, at the moment I am using lux values of a Z-wave sensor for these automations. But apart from that, the lux values of the Xiaomi sensors seem to be really accurate.

Thanks @Roekeloos - since last week I actually have the Xiaomi hub and PIR sensors on order. Feel like they might never arrive though :smiley:

Hey marthocoo,

If I have a z-stick (gen5), would I be able to directly pair the lights/sensors/etc to it?

I’ve been trawling the forums and reddit, and people seem to say it is possible but difficult, though that may have changed with newer firmware on the bulbs.

I have a basic installation of Home Assistant in a docker with a z-stick attached. Should me approach be to install a Deconz docker to pair the Tradfri equipment with?

@Ruthalas Nope, this will absolutely not work as your z-stick is Zwave, not ZigBee. Deconz controls a ZigBee network and only through two supported pieces of hardware: either the RaspBee (GPIO) or Conbee (USB). If you want to pair your ZigBee lights/sensors without a Tradfri or Hue bridge, you’ll need either a RaspBee or Conbee to use Deconz.

3 Likes

Ah! Ok. Good to know.

I was under the impression that Zigbee was a subset of the zwave standard. I see now that I was incorrect.

For my reference, assuming I acquire a ConBee stick, is this the proper way to utilize Tradfri devices:

• Set up Deconz docker in my environment
  • Provision that machine with ConBee stick
  • Pair Tradfri devices with that ConBee stick (steps?)
  • Expose Deconz install to Home Assistant via API key and component in Home Assistant
  • Some sort of scripting to make use of the lights in Home Assistant through Deconz?
1 Like

You are correct:

1. Plug Conbee into server.
  2. Install deCONZ (either natively or via Docker).
  3. Pair ZigBee devices with deCONZ/Conbee via the deCONZ web GUI (called “Phoscon”).
  4. Setup the deCONZ component in HA.
  5. That is all. Once the component is setup HA will pull in your lights, sensors, and switches and you can control and automate them via the HA interface.
1 Like

@marthocoo That sounds like a great option!

How can one acquire a ConBee in the USA, given that the various official shopfronts don’t appear to deliver here?