Ikea Tradfri without hub

Hi all,

todat i received my zigbee stick (CC2531) does this replace the whole ikea hub?
So i can connect my light to the CC2531 and its working?

Or do i still need one hub in my network?

5 Likes

I am replying only because I want to follow the thread and there is no “follow” option without becoming a participant in the thread.

Ikea stuff is Zigbee. There. That’s all I know about Zigbee.

I do have Z-wave devices and use a Aeotec Z-Wave Z-Stick instead of a hub, so I would guess that you could do the same with Zigbee devices on a Zigbee stick.

I have a couple of Ikea lights that I no longer use because they had a mind of their own through the Ikea gateway. I still have the lights and I did buy a CC2531 Z Stick, but I haven’t taken the time to try to interface them.

@merkelbeek Home assistant has good integration with many Ikea products. Most if not all use the zigbee protocol so if you have a USB zigbee stick that you can plug into your home assistant instance, you can use the zigbee ZHA integration and use your stick as the coordinator. This will basically act as your hub and you can add (usually) any zigbee device to your network once you put it in pairing mode and then click add device from the ZHA integration. I say usually because there are many zigbee protocols so things may not work 100% (Phillips used ZLL instead of ZHA and aquara devices only like working with a specific coordinator/repeater which you can Google). As for you Ikea bulbs you should be able to add that no problem.

1 Like

From this link it seems to be possible with just the CC2531 (without the hub). Have a look at that site and see if it helps?

Personally I run some Tradfri plugs and remotes (no bulbs) using Zigbee via a Conbee II stick with no other hub, and it works fine. All rock solid, with the remotes operating via ControllerX.

2 Likes

There are quite a number of IKEA Tradfri devices around my home and I am not using the IKEA Hub anymore at all.
Everything is connected via the Zigbee Stick and it works perfect for more than a year now.

3 Likes

Use bookmark (with or without a ‘x’ day reminder :wink:)

1 Like

Yes, CC2531 will replace Tradfri hub…

May I ask how I can put a IKEA Tradfri bulb in pairing mode using? I use the ConBee II zigbee stick

1 Like

You have to turn it on/off 6 times in a row. There are Ikea videos on the Internet that Show exactly how to do this.

1 Like

the on/off cycle is approx 1 s.

After that, the light will flash briefly, and then start pulsing slowly until paired again

1 Like

Hi, dumb question: how about the IKEA tradfri repeaters, can you pair them to a conbee stick?

There is no such thing as a dumb question, there are only dumb answers…

I haven’t tried it, but zigbee = zigbee…
Basically, all powered zigbee devices act as repeater, that is the nature of zigbee :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply - i really love these little repeaters, my tradfri devices seem to really need them to keep a good and stable connection, but then again combining all zigbee devices in one big zigbee mesh system rather than splitting them between their separate hubs would probably go a long way already;

how does one update the firmware of the zigbee devices paired to the conbee stick? is that possible?

I use ConBee II with Zigbee2MQTT and have no issues updating all my Ikea devices, but as I said, I do not have repeaters (yet :stuck_out_tongue: )
Updating is done from the zigbee2mqtt web interface page

1 Like

I recently updated my Ikea devices with a Sky connect stick, which works great. However, now all devices disappear in my Google Home. Is there a way to not use the gateway but keep Google home? Voice control is just too convenient

1 Like

Install the Google Assistant integration

Did u have the old ikea bulb?
The 2016 version?

Latetly i experience issues with flickering lights, i have two of These and sometimes the flicker or when i switch them off one of te two lights automaticly go on again.

I use the tradfri remote to control them

Sometimes my wife uses the normal wall switch instead of the tradfri remote, could that be the problem of the lights flickering?

I have had flickering issues. 95% of the time is is a loose bulb in the light socket, or with the new smart bulbs they got into something like ‘Candle’ mode which causes them to flicker like a candle.

I was able to add my Tradfri LED with HomeAssistant Yellow (ZHA). I placed the Tradfri into pairing mode by turning it on and off 6x; as suggested here in this thread. The hub is not required.

1 Like