Ikea Tradfri + xiaomi gateway?

Hi, I wanted to buy two Ikea Tradfri 1000lm bulbs for their brightness, and I’d like to pair them with the xiaomi gateway in order to use the wireless aqara wall switches. I also wanted to create myself a human presence sensor using an Arduino for fun (and to save money), so I would need to use something like Home Assistant since IFTTT is not supported by the xiaomi gateway.
Now, I’ve read that home Assistant has got some problems controlling Ikea bulbs paired with the xiaomi gateway instead of the Tradfri one, so what would be the best way to achieve this? should I just say “fuck it”, buy a xiaomi sensor and ditch Home Assistant?

Best solution and cheapest I found out is zigbee2mqtt but with another gateway CC253x. I use it for my IKEA bulbs and xiaomi things and it is working pretty well.

Until now, xiaomi gateway can pair ikea bulbs but it doesn’t expose them, so you can use tham in HA via xiaomi gateway :\

I really hope this will be changed. That would minimize at least one gateway in my setup - actually two, but since HA doesn’t support mulltiple Traadfri gateways its only one.

When you said that it doesn’t expose the bulbs, you mean that the “developper mode” of the Xiaomi gateway doesn’t expose IKEA bulb in UDP or you mean that the python library for home assistant has not been modified to read them ?

I just bought a ConBee stick to try and cut down the number of hubs I have. It should be fine for this too I imagine?

£36 delivered on Amazon and I will regain 2 plug sockets and 1 ethernet socket on my router.

Yes, it should work with Zigbee2mqtt, Zigate or ConBee.

I see in my home assistant logs :
The device with sid b57fffe3058dd isn't supported of the used gateway firmware. Please update the gateway firmware if possible! This is the only way the issue can be solved.

The message is not exact because the python library used by home assistant must be updated (not the gateway firmware). So I think that it is technically possible to upgrade the python script for the xiaomi gateway to manage tradfri properly in home assistant.
An issue about the subject has been opened here

Every automation platforms have the same question about xiaomi gateway/Tradfri , but it seems that nobody has modified the library at this time…

Has this been resolved? It’s been 2 years. Wanting to buy me a tradfri sensor and already own a xiaomi gateway

1 Like