IKEA Tradfri

Has a working test setup with two bulbs, a dimmer and a remote.

Upgraded to v. 0.43 and followed the instructions to install the Tradfri component - which in my case failed at the last “make install” - tried with “sudo make install” which gave no errors.

Added the required fields to configuration.yaml, but got the error:

Unable to find component tradfri.

Any clues?

Martin

How did your setup work before the update? Have you done any manual work to get Trådfri to work that now is in conflict with the added plattform?

I had the same error message and a reboot of the Trådfri gateway fixed it for me.
I could not use pytradfri standalone either before I rebooted the gateway

@MartinGlob You didn’t mention a gateway, did you buy one? Home Assistant communicates with the platform through the gateway, without one it won’t work.

No problems before the update - I just have a couple of MultiSensors (temp,hum etc), Sonos, AppleTv.

I have a Tradfri gateway, two light bulbs, a dimmer and a remote (the round thing with on/off, up/down and two other buttons),

As I wrote above I followed the guilde lines for using Tradfri, but got an error message.

Just tried to reboot the Tradfri gateway and got the same error.

Double checked gateway IP address and api-key.

Silly question - but did the previous scripts actually work? I had the same experience as you - and realised that actually I had to sudo the whole set of commands - hadn’t realised that the previous scripts hadn’t actually done anything. Once I went back and re-ran everything as sudo it worked for me.

Tried updating HA, and running IKEA Tradfri instructions using sudo - still no go.

I added this to the configuration.yaml

logger:
default: info

But that did not reveal any more info, log still shows:

17-04-24 21:27:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unable to find component tradfri
17-04-24 21:27:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for tradfri: Component not found.

Next, reinstall everything…

Just seems like something is hanging when going through the setup. I followed the instructions 100% through, updated HASS, and all was well.

You’ve done sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade right?

Thanks for all your inputs ;.)

I reinstalled everything from scratch and now everything works…

• Took a copy of config files (forgot the secret…)
  • Downloaded a fresh rasbian and installed that - remember the ssh file on the image
  • Installed Samba for easy access to the config files
  • Followed the instructions for the All-In-One installer
  • Followed the instructions for the Ikea component

I have no clue what went wrong and why the upgrade/update failed.

Any way… It’s so easy to start all over if needed

Martin

Is this 43.1 or .2 that you re-install? Thanks.

Just bought Ikea motion and a bulb. Plan to upgrade but afraid lol

It’s v 0.43.2.

Just remember to backup your config files :wink:

Btw. I’m really amazed by the Ikea bulps, gateway and remotes. It works, simple to configure and the prices is nice. The small dimmer is a small wonder. It detects movement using an accelerometer! Really cute.

Hi, just bought the gateway, dimmer and some bulbs.
The gateway is up and running in HA, works great.
But the dimmer isn’t working?
The device shows in the tradfri app, next to the bulbs.
But I can turn, twist and shout as much as I want, the dimmer knob does nothing.
There goes the WAF :joy:
Is there some pairing trick that makes the dimmer knob work, or did I do something wrong?

Did you pair the dimmer with the gateway? If you download the Ikea tradfri app, it’s quite easy to pair the dimmer.

Martin

@PaNiCo @MartinGlob And make sure you add the dimmer device to the same group as the lights under the settings menu.

Somehow the dimmer works now. In a attempt to change the battery I pulled the whole thing apart. After reassembly it worked​:confused::+1::grinning: