IKEA Uppatvind Air Purifier

Hi there! I’m really impressed by IKEA’s air purifiers (Förnuftig and Uppatvind) as they are extremely cheap and effective, especially suitable for homes with smaller rooms. However, they are not part of the company’s smart ecosystem, so I started to design a custom PCB with an ESP8266 on board in order to be able to control them via HA.

Purifier and the original PCB:

I created a Github repo for this project (Now only for Uppatvind but Förnuftig is also on track). The PCB design is finalized and ready to test it. If you have any comment please feel free to share or if you like it you can support the project’s further development.

horvathgergo/esp8266-for-uppatvind: Smart controller for IKEA Uppatvind Air Purifiers (github.com)

Soon I’m going to upload all the files into the repo

6 Likes

great, just looked for this because I have a broken PCP board at the FÖRNUFTIG. If I can support anything let me know! :slight_smile:

I’ve just ordered the prototype PCB for Fornuftig. I hope it’s going to be fine. Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @horvathgergo
I’m ordering PCB’s for another project this weekend, if you already have something to share or need more testers I would order it right away.

If I’m understanding properly, when switching to to this PCB you completely remove any external input like the rotary switch, so it is entirely controlled by HA right?

No, It has a push button at the back of the board, so you can control the device via HA and manually too

1 Like

Perfect thanks! What about your PCB for the förnuftig?

I’ve already incorporated a rotary switch into the layout of fornuftig PCB. After i finalize the software, i will update both fornuftig and uppatvind documents in the repo. I hope it’s going to happen next week

1 Like

Thank you for your effort! I will have to order this next revision then.

An alternative that I’ve set up is to connect an ESP8266 or ESP32 to the existing board GitHub - jonathonlui/esphome-ikea-uppatvind: Modify Ikea UPPÅTVIND into "smart" purifier with ESPHome.

I’m pretty new to ESPHome and Home Assistant so the config could be better, e.g. it’s probably better to have the ESPHome report as a “fan” component.

2 Likes

Just found your GitHub. Does that allow the control of the fan speed via esphome? I’m fairly new to esphome.

In the example esphome yaml exposes a button component that acts like pressing the physical button. This means you can remotely “press” the button and the cycle through off, low, med, high, off.

2 Likes

Nice project, can you also share the PCB design so that we can purchase it? It would be great because I’d really like to make this as well. Thanks in advance!

@jlui Hello, I’ve been using your version of ESPHome for about 2 weeks, and it’s working very well. I have a question: is it possible to integrate the air filter sensor into ESPHome to indicate when it needs to be replaced? Or is this not feasible? I haven’t checked into it yet. Thanks in advance.

I have a note at end of the project’s README GitHub - jonathonlui/esphome-ikea-uppatvind: Modify Ikea UPPÅTVIND into "smart" purifier with ESPHome

I haven’t tried it but you should be able to connect to the Uppatvind’s TP6 to a gpio pin on ESP8266 or ESP32 and set up the esphome yaml to read pin a gpio sensor: GPIO Binary Sensor — ESPHome

My Uppatvind has running on low speed for about 9 months and the change filter LED hasn’t turned on yet.

1 Like