I'm Completely Lost... Zigbee + ZWave Adapter + Discover Device = Fail

I’m stuck, and could really use your help…

I also don’t know if this is an adapter install / config issue, device issue, user issue (most likely), or what.

• I’m running HA on a Win 10 VM.
  • I’m using a - GoControl CECOMINOD016164 HUSBZB-1 USB Hub
  • I installed the Win 10 Drivers, got it setup in HA w/
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0
  network_key: "0x2e, 0xcc, 0xab, 0x1c, 0xa3, 0x7f, 0x0e, 0xb5, 0x70, 0x71, 0x2d, 0x98, 0x25, 0x43, <redacted>, <redacted>"

zha:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB1
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

Within in Configuration > ZHA > Silicon Labs EZSP > I have…

Silicon Labs EZSP
EZSP
by Silicon Labs
IEEE:
00:0d:6f:00:<redacted>
Nwk:
0x0000
Device Type:
Coordinator
LQI:
RSSI:
Unknown
2020-03-19T21:18:07
Power Source:
Mains
Quirk:
bellows.zigbee.application.EZSPCoordinator

When I click on “Add Devices” under ZHA, it spins indicating it’s looking for the device to add. I then plug in this (left over from Xfinity Home) smart plug w/ the side button held down, and get nothing. I’m plugging this in within about 5 ft of the USB adapter.

The device (which is confirmed to work w/ HA and ZHA in other threads) is a CentraLite 4257050 RZHAC smart plug.

My issue, is that I quite literally have no idea what I’m doing and am stumbling through this. 2 hours ago, I simply thought I’d plug the USB into my Win10 box, and the VM would see it - followed by HA “Detecting” it automatically, and I’d be good to go. Clearly, that’s not the case, and I’ve made it this far.

Being that I don’t know what I’m doing - I don’t know if I configured this incorrectly (my logs aren’t showing any errors), or I’m doing something else incorrectly. With multiple failure points possible, I don’t really know how to test next.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I feel like I’m in over my head at this point…

That’s a terrible choice of OS. You have no control over OS update restarts. Linux is a far better choice for this.

That aside…

Go to the side panel Supervisor menu. Select the System tab. In the Host System box click on the Hardware button and inspect what devices are actually available/connected.

1 Like

Thats unfortunate that Win10 isn’t good… It came highly recommended by a bunch of people and online videos. I have a new RPi4 sitting in a box as it was originally going to be what HA was to be installed on.

Heres what my hardware says,

serial:

• /dev/ttyUSB0
  • /dev/ttyS2
  • /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_81300414-if00-port0
  • /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_81300414-if01-port0
  • /dev/ttyUSB1
  • /dev/ttyS3
  • /dev/ttyS1
  • /dev/ttyS0

Could you link to those videos?

It’s bad advice.

The Hook Up YouTube channel on setting up HA IN 2020 for one.

He uses a Linux Ubuntu 64bit VM, not a windows VM. Windows is the host for the virtualisation platform.

Semantics aside, it’s still not a great idea. Windows update can restart without user intervention, dropping out your Linux VM.

You should use the VDI file instead of the VMDK file as it is native to virtualbox. the VDI is already set up with network bridging and a dynamic disk size, you just need to specify how large you will allow it to grow.

Also he does not cover passing through the USB ports, which you will need to do. It’s below the network settings in the system tab.

I believe he converts to a vdi file, but I used the supplied vdi file when I installed my version. I’m also running Linux Ubuntu 64bit within Win10 on a VM.
I’ll give your suggestion a look shortly.

As far as I can tell, I had already passed through my USB to HA. Otherwise, how would HA have seen it in the hardware screen and provide the info I posted above? I didn’t add the USB via the menu in your screenshot - but added it via the VM window.

Adding it through the menu in your screenshot made no difference (unless there’s something further I need to do)…

As a follow up - the USB adapter was correctly installed the entire time as I’m able to find new zigbee devices I unboxed today. The zigbee device seems to have been the issue. I’ll look for support more specifically for that issue in another thread.