I'm confused - which dashboard device

I want to have a dashboard on a tablet on my loungeroom table.

I want to turn things on and off, look through my doorbell camera. Show the weather and so on.

The problem is what device to use. Some tutorials recommend the Amazon fire 10 but another says it’s hard to free from the Amazon echo system, the Google nest was deemed to be unreliable, etc etc.

I even found one about the raspberry pi 5 tablet on AliExpress.

I guess my question is, what are people doing that works, easy to setup and won’t break the bank?

You prob want to look into something like this that is running off POE so you don’t have to bother with setting up a smart plug to manage the battery inside a tablet:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Compatible-Assistant-FullyKiosk-Suitable-Electrical/dp/B0CSZ7WSPQ

Since I am pretty much always at my desk I have a dedicated page for controls on my streamdeck xl and just pull up the dashboard for checking things on the phone or on my right side monitor.

1 Like

I have gone with a Lenovo Smartview and followed this guide.

1 Like

@TH3xR34P3R @WallyR thank you both for the response. @TH3xR34P3R I can see how you like the desk Poe option but I need something I can pick up if needed so I’m thinking a wireless charger dock.

@WallyR a good solution but hard to get one at a reasonable price here in Australia.

Are there any other suggestions?

If going with the tablet route then you can look into a stand like this:

or like this with the option to slot in a wireless charger puck:

Then just use a smart plug to turn off the charge to the tablet when its docked once its around 80-90% to keep battery life as long as possible for this setup use.

The POE option was under the assumption you wanted to wall mount a panel to save on using a tablet and needing to rip it out when you need to replace its battery when it eventually swells up after x time.

I use these plugged into the usb port of my useelink power matter power strips atm for at the desk and one at the bedside for my phone: