I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

I really thought that post would get more attention but tom_I quickly pointed out another one predated it (by 2-3 weeks) so I figured all the people that needed to know were already in the other thread and discussing alternatives.

I guess I was wrong about how people had seen either thread … :man_shrugging:

And there’s still more time between now and when it actually becomes deprecated removed, than there is between those discussions and today.

It would take 20 minutes at the most to move this to the custom_components directory and make a file and be done.

3 Likes

No it is already deprecated, there is however 4 months before it is removed.

And I can imagine what outrage and the wave will be when it is removed for users who do not go to this forum and use GPIO :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just want to ask because I can’t find the information.
If GPIO is still working and I add my own GPIO integration with the same configuration in yaml, which will load after the HA restart first for the function? Maybe a stupid question

As has already been pointed out -

it was posted about IN THIS FORUM a month ago, and was largely missed by the majority of us. The only reason more people are aware of it now, is because it was in the release notes.

2 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised by the number of people capable of tinkering with GPIO and hardware on a RPi and for whom 300 lines of (mostly boilerplate) python code seems the Everest to climb…

Did they all start using GPIO with HA?
How did they do before?

1 Like

They don’t need to be part of this forum but they do need to read the Release Notes before upgrading, especially the Breaking Changes section. Anyone who does that now will learn they have several months to plan for a transition before the integration is removed.

Those who don’t read Release Notes might have an unpleasant surprise in the summer. It’ll be a hard way to learn that you must review the Release Notes before upgrading.

Anyone who doesn’t read release notes before upgrading or

1 Like

Yes, I also knew this information a long time ago, but maybe the problem is knowledge of English because with the help of the translator I understood that the integration of various sensors will be removed, but not my own approach to pi GPIO, so I didn’t pay more attention to it.

Could you help me a bit and weld these titanium parts together… it is just 10 min job… Yep, some stuff is easy for some.

And yes, I got into HA because I heard it could easily control rpi gpio…without python or any other snake that you call code :wink:

Yes, I agree, but by knowing this before and, of course, the release notes, I was just desperately looking for a solution that I found and the situation is resolved.

Not sure if that’s a serious request for help, or tongue-in-cheek. But the best write-up I’ve seen on how to restore the GPIO functionality is right here in this thread:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/im-unhappy-with-the-removal-of-gpio/388578/125

1 Like

He’s already on HACS

1 Like

If only we knew sooner.

Here are links to threads discussing it in December and January.

If only we knew sooner.

Some people did, namely the ones in those linked threads.

If only we knew sooner.

Umm, see posts above; it was in fact known sooner, well over a month ago.

If only we knew sooner.

You’re failing the Turing test.

2 Likes

Why desperately? You have 4 months to make the transition.

This is not a technical issue anymore.

This is PR issue now and might be even bigger one in June.

Well yes, that’s what I said.
It doesn’t affect me at all - and if it did, I wouldn’t be losing my mind about it - I would simply use NodeRed which either has GPIO support in it, or the package can be easily added to it to give it GPIO support.

2 Likes

I’d rather be calm than deal with something at the last minute

So it seems rpi_gpio is already on HACS.
I am wondering what the possible solutions are for the 1wire integration?

I have a custom pcb that connects multiple 1wire sensors and some relais to the rpi.

One of many solutions -

Simply use NodeRed with the 1wire contrib added to the palette manager.