I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Your statement is incorrect. 17% of people who upload analytics use esphome. There is no way of telling how many users of esphome don’t upload analytics

7 Likes

Yes maybe incorrect, but saying people who run esphome or tasmota or home brew, are less inclines to upload stats is still wrong.

Regardless of it use, it being removed not just for pure numbers, its not maintained. There are alternatives, and you are free to use it as a custom integration

1 Like

It’s not. It’s a very probable correlation. His comment is based in a valid hypothesis. Your comment is just that you disagree

4 Likes

Can you recommend an alternative to control the cooling fan which is mounted on the GPIO pins as the original board for Rpi.
Thank you

1 Like

Well unless they turn on upload of stats we will never know.
I don’t disagree there could be many more, I just believe its an wrong assumption to say those who use one certain method are more likely not to upload as a case for keeping the integration

1 Like

I believe @tom_l gave an possible alternative project whether it fits your use i dont know, or you can use the current one as a custom integration.

1 Like

Can we agree that it is strange that GPIO support is disappearing while the Home Assistant home page has a prominent link to a crowd funding effort for a special housing and expansion board for a Raspberry Pi compute module?

Like, I could see nixing the GPIO if Home Assistant was really putting all its muscle behind those Odroid Blue units, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Side note:
Does Home Assistant publish stats on how many cloud metrics-enabled users run on Odroid vs. RPi vs. PC? Do the cloud metrics only include people running Home Assistant OS or do the figures include people running HA Core, HA Supervised, and HA Container?

6 Likes

scroll to the bottom for installations. Home Assistant Analytics (home-assistant.io)

Like i said, if you look at the ADR its not just based on the numbers used, its about also being maintained.

1 Like

I have built my own hardware running ESPhome and have ZERO devices in my fairly large system which require a cloud service (other than google home speakers) yet I have chosen to share my analytics with HA.

6 Likes

Agree, we truly dont know, I’m just saying there’s evidence in the comments of this thread alone

Problem is you cant use anecdotal evidence to say their decision is wrong.
Maybe someone who uses that integration could create a feature request where people can vote, so there maybe get a better idea of the numbers without uploading stats.

2 Likes

I hate removing GPIO, this is a big mistake, this is preparing for the so called ‘yellow’ board I think.

1 Like

I would suggest reading further. They support is still there, just moved to third party/custom integrations.
I think a well maintained third party integration is better than an official integration that is not maintained. It is not crippling the device, it is just changing the way you use it, like a breaking change would. You can stay on the older version of Home Assistant and keep using it exactly as it is if you don’t need to update, or you can look at the many custom options.
When such a low number of people use it, then it is better for the core team to focus on what is needed.
You could write your own integration/component. The access to the GPIO’s is still there.

3 Likes

Please, please don’t depreciate GPIO. This is just so useful. Pushing it out to ESPHome creates a WiFi link to HA and a potential break point.

7 Likes

I believe there are some custom integrations that are more functional than inbuilt ones. The access to the GPIO’s will still be available, it will just be up to custom integrations to use them. At least that is my understanding of it

What like oculus quest integration?

The people moaning about the demise of GPIO could have volunteered to maintain it themselves, then it would still be there.

Anyway, there are solutions that have been pointed out. End of story.

5 Likes

People are free to develop/work on what they want. If someone walks away from an integration, you cant just force someone to work on it
Edited, as pointed out by nick

3 Likes

The joys of Open Source / free software. If someone stops maintaining it and no one else picks it up, it kind of stagnates and eventually dies

That’s a bit unfair, it has a code owner because someone decided to create it and they want to maintain it. Saying things like this shows how out of touch the community is with the process. Anyone can build and maintain a integration in home assistant. Anyone can then get bored and decide to abandon it as well.

8 Likes