I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Guys, you act like the world is ending… Jeez…

—>>> MQTT IO <<<—

Stable, reliable and you won’t get burned by HA feature removal again. No ESP needed, no wifi links. On the same PI if you’re not on HAOS, or a second Pi with Ethernet otherwise. You can even use a Pi Zero with a cheap Ethernet board over SPI. Like $10 in total and you’re set.

4 Likes

I assume you mean If someone walks away from an integration, you can’t just force someone to work on it.

However if you are the boss at Nabu Casa you can can’t you, because you are paying a now quite large workforce, and you can say “Sorry Jim, but you are in charge of the RPI GPIO integration, get to work on it.”

3 Likes

Like most paid teams, they will be focused on the important things, not 0.8%.
:slight_smile:
Just had to add that.

2 Likes

Yeah i think tom posted a link to that earlier as an alternative

Yup and it’s been posted in pretty much any other thread about this issue. I mean sure, removing functionality sucks, agreed. I also think that removing GPIO support from core is the wrong move. But in this case, there’s a nice alternative that is even better than what is being deprecated and it’s entirely separate from HA (which is a plus).

oh no, dont quote that statistic

1 Like

When it comes to work that is being paid for, that means a lot. Even someone working for free may consider if it is worth it on percentages as well.
think of how many integrations there are in Home Assistant. You have to draw a line somewhere :slight_smile:
There is plenty of third party support though, as noted earlier, so it is not abandoned.

I use rpi_gpio for reed sensors on my doors and windows. I do not want to buy additional hardware. Guess I have to stop upgrading HA?

Disappointing. I just got everything working perfectly and now its deprecated. I should have opted into the stats I guess.

4 Likes

well not until June.

And read the thread. There are alternatives.

1 Like

The current integration is going to go into HACS.

3 Likes

Would have been good (and saved all this bitching) if the blog had said that!

2 Likes

AFAIK there was never a oculus quest integration in HA core. There was an announcement made but it was mentioned that its an Android app. The android app is written in Kotlin and makes up of a different team from HA core.

Someone decided to pick it up in hacs like 30 minutes ago… y’all need to stop acting like people do this on purpose to piss everyone off. We’re all just trying to automate our house with the time we have available.

14 Likes

From what I read (and you know this better than me I am just trying to clarify for the masses who seem to think that this was a waste of dev time) the occulus quest runs android, and the android app team simply added sensors to the companion app for the quest, and put it in the quest store.

I am not the one complaining, and what you just said explains why it wasn’t in the release notes, thanks.

There is only one specific sensor for that device which was just added but yes it runs the minimal version of the android app.

Wow that must have wasted sooooo much dev time :slight_smile:

Who said it was a waste of dev time? I’m just making the point that this is getting promoted in announcements by the same folks announcing and making the decisions on the direction of HA and the integrations they are ‘dropping’ support of that they put there in the first place.

1 Like

I think you missed the part mentioned earlier about how there is no active maintainer. That plays a major role in things. Integrations need active maintainers to keep up with the changes. You can’t just expect others to work on something they know nothing about nor can you expect HA development to stop for one integration. If there was an active maintainer there wouldn’t be a need to drop support. Also if there is no active maintainer then there is no support. Bugs will be created with nothing being done until a new maintainer comes, if they come.

3 Likes

I appreciate your opinion but I really didn’t.

It is not lost on me at all that my entire home automation is really a potential house of cards often relying on a single individuals motivation because I do not possess the skills to implement it myself. That is the cost of free, which is reasonable.

1 Like