I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Serious?

So basically what you are saying is " do what we tell you " ? Is that right @koying ? Last time I checked my friend, I didn’t live in North Korea/ Russia my friend.

Are people not allowed to express their views here ?

1 Like

Yes, do some reading and educate yourself. “Fund development of Home Assistant and ESPHome”

They sure are and you’ve done that. Now you are just being belligerent. Stop.

My friend, it is very easy for you to write flippant comments like this.

Why do you/others keep pointing me to to Nabu Casa?
If anyone is belligerent it may be you?

I hoped this would not happen.

Looks like I was wrong.

1 Like

Becuse you brought them up. HA cloud is Nabu casa (well provided by them), then in next sentence, you say

What if they decide to get rid of ESP Home/Tasmota in the future for example?
I just hope this shite doesn’t hit my ESP Fan.

So thats why people are directing you to Nabu Casa, so if you didnt mean them, be more specific than “them”

1 Like

WOW, are you serious ?

Others have brought this on and I was just expressing my ideas/opinions.

Did you even read my original post sympathizing with the OP here.

Never mind, I’m beginning to see things differently.
:frowning_face:

Looks like you are not able to express your opinions here on the forums.

1 Like

You are, aren’t you.
That doesn’t mean you cannot be corrected or just ignored…

Time to close the topic, after the lovely chatter with the IT veterans, it just turned into noise.

2 Likes

I am still unhappy with the removal of GPIO. I still hope there is a change to keep it.

Btw, I was just reading about something else here and noticed that when users were seeking help for their problems with some custom integrations, they are asked to go away and continue at devs github.

So looks like the removal will have social effects here too.

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s coming from the KGB. Enjoy your automating my friend.

Custom Integrations have never been supported, they are the responsibility of the maintainer of that custom integration.
Which at the moment is better for you as the integration currently doesnt have anyone to maintain the core one

I understand that.

Support is different than asking help from other users or sharing info with others here about custom stuff. Right?

You can ask anything you want here and hopefully someone can help otherwise you maybe directed to the custom integration repo for additional help.
If you post an issue on the HA repo for a custom integration, then yes you will be told to go and raise the issue at the custom integrations repo

1 Like

Support, in the context of open-source, is when a code owner or maintainer assists users with their issues with the code he made available.

Although HA looks monolithic, not all devs support all areas of the code.
If the code owner or maintainer goes dark, there is no support, that being true for a builtin integration or a custom one.

It is a requirement of HACS to have a link to a place to open issues/request support, so not only is it a mild inconvenience to have multiple places to look for support, it’s actually easier from HACS

2 Likes

There will always be breaking changes in Home Assistant.
The sooner you understand it the better

Home Assistant ties together so many APIs, both local and cloud, with different hardware and software from hundreds of people.
If that isn’t enough then there is the rapid development in all areas as well, where new devices enter the market and new standards.

The only way to not have breaking changes is to stick with one manufacturer and only use their app.
That will probably be the most pain free experience in Home automation, but naturally also very limiting.

4 Likes

You’re literally describing what happened. Due to maintenance overhead choices had to be made about which devices/integrations to support and which to not and that’s why GPIO was cut. See here for the discussion on it and here for the ADR it lead to.

That sounds nice. Here’s 4 Home Assistant alerts from the past 2 months informing users why their stuff suddenly stopped working without warning because something happened outside the control of anyone involved in this project or community. In each of these 4 cases there wasn’t even an update to anything in HA, things were working fine for everyone and then suddenly they weren’t:

Or go back further to some other devastating ones (still fairly recent). Like when TP-Link just decided to can their local API one day or when Apple bought DarkSky and told all developers depending on it to get lost.

This is the reality of the home automation world. You’re always going to have to keep an eye out for breaking changes. If you’re lucky those changes will come a multi-month grace period and a community full of people interested in figuring out a transition plan and sharing it. If you’re unlucky, some large company will just decide what you’re doing isn’t profitable enough for them and change the terms of your relationship by breaking your stuff without any warning at all.

Like making a new plug-and-play appliance? The second one actually after the success of the blue. Or did you mean peripherals like tags? Nabu Casa also acquired ESPHome to make hardware projects related to HA easier. Seems like you might be agreeing with the existing direction rather then suggesting something novel. But I could be wrong.

I would imagine @dexstar is referring to something more like a Fibaro hub. ie: not open source.

The strength of HA is that it is not mainstream. How many mainstream platforms support 1935 different integrations.

Not forgetting that many integrations themselves support hundreds of different devices, eg zwave, zigbee, etc, and unlike mainstream solutions has no artificial restrictions on which devices to allow access to (looking at you Hue).

Not only that but in the past I found the mainstream option I tried to be full of bugs. I started my Smart Home with a Vera many years ago and after a couple of years of fighting with it (constant hardware hangs, having to get up at 2am to deal with their help staff in another country, having bedroom lights randomly turn on and off in the middle of the night…) I finally threw the Vera in the bin and started with HA.

1 Like

Beyond death and taxes, there is an additional certainty, nowadays: your cloud-based IoT will stop being supported (or even work) at some point :wink:

2 Likes

Correct my friend. Running my setup on HA Blue and really happy with it.
Shortly, the Yellow will arrive which has some added features which look promising.

As an incentive, why not create like, let’s say a beginner package with it and get more people to cross-over to the Light side. You pick some (or many) RBGW lights, add some ZIgbee/ZWave items (door/window, motion sensors) and people will be on their journey with an open source home automation system.

Tinkerers can still keep tinkering, but the average Joe would be delighted with their new system.

Obviously this would involve collaboration with a 2nd, 3rd party. ATHOM comes to mind. How difficult to implement ? Not sure ?

Once I see HA advertised on my TV, mainstream is just around the corner :crossed_fingers:

Just my thinking :+1: