Imaging Hass.io

How do you backup your SD card? Been looking into this but all I found were someone that didn’t seem to work with hassio.

Use snapshots

I’m using them but having a spare SD-card with a exact copy has several advantages for special use cases:

• When tinkering around with the setup, in case I break anything, restoring is as easy as inserting the second SD-card
  • When the SD card fails when I’m not around my girlfriend can easily exchange the SD card

Also, some settings (like writing lines in config.txt required for the Deconz Plugin on a RasPi) aren’t included in the snapshot and require extra steps.

I know restoring snapshots is easy and quite straightforward, but still it needs around 1h I guess (download image, use etcher, let it fetch updates, set up smb or Google Drive Addon, restore snapshot, change config.txt and waiting for it to boot in between). Having a cloned SD could be a great alternative!

But I didn’t meant to hijack this thread, just wanted to know how he cloned the card.

I’ve moved this to its own thread :wink:

1 Like

You could pull the SD and use the likes of Win32DiskImager to clone the SD.

It might be worth raising a feature request to have rpi-clone embedded in HassOS.

3 Likes

Yes, after doing some research on HA forum I ended up using Win32DiskImager on my Windows machine as similar Mac tools (don’t remember names now) on my laptop did not get a the same speed.
Currently it takes about 27 mins to create image of my 32GB SD card.
Then I compress it with 7-zip archiver.

I tried to use snapshots as well, but after restoring 24 hours-old snapshot and having all sorts of weird data on history graphs I ended up deleting home-assistant db and decided it’s not worth it.

I’d definitely vote for that as it’ll give us one more option without employing anything apart from RPi itself.

I have my config files on BitBucket and my Database is hosted on a NAS, not the SD-card.

If I need to reinstall I restore my configs from BitBucket.

1 Like