Import data from other Hassio (or Domoticz) for P1 data

Hi All,

Here is my “challenge”: Got a working Hassio with Zwave stick in the livingroom. I want to integrate my power usage from the smart meter in my hallway.

I don’t want to move my current PI3 because of Zwave connectivity. My thought is to use another PI3 with either Hassio (or Domoticz if I can’t get it to work with Hassio). But how do I get the data from the secondary Hassio to the master Hassio?

Can this be done? And if so, can someone point me into the right direction?

Kind regards,

Eltjo

Using a pi3 just for this would be overkill. I would suggest using a pi zero or nodemcu and sending the data to Ha via MQTT or the Web api.

I’ve got a spare PI3, so I want to use that one.

But what do you mean with “sending the data to Ha via MQTT or the Web api”? In other words, in can be done fairly easy? (Not compleet NOOB, but not an expert haha)

It is always easy when you know what you are doing :grinning:

But you have two problems.

The first is to get the data from your smart meter into the PI. You don’t say what the meter is or how you intend getting information from it, and it is not possible to give specific advice without knowing that.

The second problem is getting the information retrieved from the meter and sending it to HA. MQTT and the api interface are two methods of doing this.

MQTT is a protocol which is the closest thing there is to a standard in the IoT world, and can be used to send data messages to almost all controllers (HA, OpenHAB, Domoticz etc). So it is a good choice if you are not yet committed to any one of these.

The HA API interface is a method of sending data directly to HA through http calls. This makes it specific to HA, but means you don’t have to set up the MQTT broker, which may help (although HA has an embedded MQTT broker which makes it pretty simple).

To send either you will need a program on the Pi to do it. There are plenty of such programs on github, but it rather depends on how you get data from the meter. I have heard of people use a second HA instance to do this using the EventStream or StateStream components to send MQTT messages between the instances, but that is a bit like using a truck to deliver a pint of milk.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it!

I’m planning to get the info from the smart meter using sensor.dsmr. After reading (globally) through your links I think MQTT EventStream could do the trick.

Personally my first thought was to use sensor.scrape to get the info from the “Smart Meter Hassio”, so I think it will be a little trial and error.

I’ll post it when I have succeeded and what I’ve used.

I think this project will do what you need, without installing a whole new HA

Again thank you for your response! I’ll keep this in mind.

But I like to do “some” of it myself, and when I have Hassio on that PI I thought maybe to implement PiHole on that one too.

Other issue that comes in my mind is that I don’t have wired network connection where the smart meter is. I have to use wifi to connect to my network. Hassio should be fine, but the other program… really don’t know! :slight_smile:

Then again… the “other” programs can make pretty nice graphs, don’t know if Hassio can do that…

Any program reading data for a smart meter will be fine over wifi. There is not enough data to cause a problem.

Using PiHole on a Pi over wifi looks to me like it would be a problem. Every access to the internet would have to make an additional two hops over your wifi, which would slow it down. Also, all your internet access would be depending on the reliability of the wifi link between the Pi and the router. I would only use PiHole on something that is directly wired into the router.

If you intend running other programs on your Pi, using hassio is probably not appropriate. You are limited to whatever has been translated into an addon. There is a whole world of programs and utilities out there that will not run under hassio.

1 Like

Using PiHole over wifi is probably not the best solution indeed.

So maybe trying to get a wire there!

The reason I am thinking of a complete Hassio solution is that I’m not a programmer. For me it is with lot of trial and error.