Impossible to install on Lenovo Tiny?!

I’ve had zero luck going with the Generic x86-64 on a Lenovo Tiny M92. I use the ubuntu live approach and balenaetcher to copy image over to the HDD. All goes well, proper partitions seem to be made on the Tiny, but as soon as I reboot, there’s the “Error 1962 No Operating System Found”! Tried a whole bunch of BIOS combination settings (compatibility mode etc) nothing seems to work. Has anyone had better luck with these devices?

It took me ages to install a non windows OS on this thing.

It is working fine now on debian 11 with supervised. I had to update the BIOS. Youtube showed me how.

EDIT sorry mine is a m72e not a m92, but it sounds like the same problem, and probably the same solution.

Does the Tiny M92 support UEFI ? HA OS requires UEFI.

Yeah that is what the bios update was necessary for, to get UEFI boot support. I think this was the video BIOS Update on Lenovo ThinkCenter E72 3493-KAG - YouTube . Having wiped windows, I had to create a usb boot device like in the vid.

Yes, it does support UEFI, and yes, I did the BIOS update to the latest. I can surely install Debian 11 and go supervised, just annoyed the HAOS thing is not working out…

Did anyone get this working?
I was previously running debian 10 and supervised install, but saw generic was available, so wiped the machine and 3 days later still pulling my teeth out.
I miss my home assistant :joy:
Using an RF remote to open the garage door, feeling like a pleb lol

As above my m72 is fine running debian 11 and supervised.

Hi,

I don’t know if you have solved your problem but there is a workaround to the boot problem, follow this tuto on youtube:

I know this is a reply to an old post, but it may help people searching for answers as I was.

I have successfully installed Home Assistant on a Lenovo M72e-Tiny computer.

I was having trouble booting up until I used this method at the bottom of the installation instruction:

Use the “Disks” utility from the live USB to find the drive name and then use the terminal to issue the efibootmgr command.

2 Likes

Dropping this here in case it helps anyone.

• Decided to get cheap Lenovo m72e (tiny) as my RPi3 was straining.
  • Installed proxmox (but it could have been any linux based OS) via USB but ended up failing to boot with “Error 1962 No Operating System Found” - so proxmox was installed - but the BIOS wouldn’t hand over to GRUB to boot it.
  • Tried flipping BIOS settings w.r.t. UEFI, secure boot, etc… no luck.
  • Tried clearing CMOS by opening it up and changing jumper - did not even start up (no video signal)
  • Moved jumper back and same problem (corrupted BIOS - had to reconfig)
  • Then tried BIOS update - get update files via Lenovo Site (replaced the 61 w/ 57) to be https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/f4jt57usa.zip (did not try 61 as 57 ended up working)
  • Downloaded FreeDOS full .img file and used balena etcher on my mac to write to USB stick.
  • Opened the drive on mac and copied the f4jt57usa directory onto it.
  • Booted the Lenovo m72e with this (not installing FreeDOS - just go to prompt)
  • Read the readme.txt in the f4jt57usa directory - basically in DOS - cd into directory and run FLASH2.EXE FIRMWAREFILENAME
  • To get back at the man - I also updated the boot image to something more… satisfactory (8kb BMP) :slight_smile:
  • BIOS update ran and machine restarted.
  • Removed FreeDOS USB stick - and blam - BIOS saw GRUB and proxmox started up.
1 Like