Inaccurate thermostat reading, where to start?

Hello, what are the best steps to take to diagnose this issue, one of the thermostat cards is displaying inaccurate temperature reading.

I’m using Hubitat as a Zwave hub, TBZ48 Zwave thermostat, and home assistance running on an NUC.

The readings are correct on Hubitat, and did enable debugging and the logs look fine, here’s a screenshot of the device information

The second entity’s value, 50, appears to be a conversion from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

122 F = 50 C

There appears to be a miscommunication of units somewhere. The value of 122 is converted to Celsius but is displayed using your default temperature unit system (Fahrenheit).

I have 3 other thermostats connected and configured the same way, only this one is displaying inaccurate readings, do you know where this calculation takes place? Maybe I can take a look ?

That’s helpful because you can compare the two that work correctly, in great detail, to the one that doesn’t.

Very helpful indeed If I knew what I was doing! Not really sure where to look to compare

You still have an advantage over me because I don’t have a Hubitat Elevation to test the Hubitat integration.

Ah I see, I’ve ruled that out for some reason, thanks for trying at least. I bought ya a coffee

1 Like
  • When you look at the temperatures in Developer tools > States, for the two thermostats that show the temperatures correctly and the one thermostat that doesn’t, do you see any differences?

• Check if any of the temperature sensors explicitly specify a unit_of_measurement or whatever it may be called on the Hubitat side of the equation.

2021-01-12 07:48:08 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Updating temperature of 66 to 52
2021-01-12 07:58:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Received event: {'name': 'temperature', 'value': '52', 'displayName': 'Second floor thermostat ', 'deviceId': '42', 'descriptionText': 'Second floor thermostat temperature is 52°F', 'unit': '°F', 'type': None, 'data': None}
2021-01-12 07:58:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Updating temperature of 42 to 52
2021-01-12 08:03:29 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Received event: {'name': 'temperature', 'value': '46', 'displayName': 'Attic Thermostat ', 'deviceId': '65', 'descriptionText': 'Attic Thermostat temperature is 46°F', 'unit': '°F', 'type': None, 'data': None}
2021-01-12 08:03:29 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Updating temperature of 65 to 46
2021-01-12 08:20:15 DEBUG (MainThread) [hubitatmaker.hub] Received event: {'name': 'temperature', 'value': '51', 'displayName': 'Second floor thermostat ', 'deviceId': '42', 'descriptionText': 'Second floor thermostat temperature is 51°F', 'unit': '°F', 'type': None, 'data': None}
hvac_modes:
  - auto
  - heat
  - heat_cool
  - cool
  - 'off'
min_temp: 44.6
max_temp: 95
fan_modes:
  - 'on'
  - auto
preset_modes:
  - home
  - away
current_temperature: 114.8
temperature: 131
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
fan_mode: auto
hvac_action: heating
preset_mode: home
friendly_name: 'Attic Thermostat '
supported_features: 27

hvac_modes:
  - auto
  - heat
  - heat_cool
  - cool
  - 'off'
min_temp: 44.6
max_temp: 95
fan_modes:
  - 'on'
  - auto
preset_modes:
  - home
  - away
current_temperature: 52
temperature: 52
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
fan_mode: auto
hvac_action: idle
preset_mode: home
friendly_name: 'Second floor thermostat '
supported_features: 27

Interesting. The debug log shows there is no difference in how the data is presented for the two thermostats (identical ‘unit’). Nevertheless, the Attic Thermostat’s current temperature of 46 F gets handled like 46 C and converted to 114.8 F.

I suggest you bring this to the attention of the Hubitat integration’s author. Whatever is causing this doesn’t appear to be due to anything you have configured.

Yes! And it’s been working fine for a while. Is there a way to find out the exact time I updated Home Assistant? I did some digging and I think this happened right around the time I installed the latest update, this bug also looks like it affected another thermostat but fixed itself? If I can pinpoint exactly when I updated maybe I’ll restore a snapshot