Including camera stream in notifications

I’m trying to include the camera stream in my notification

Here is what I am sending (from Node Red)

{
    "title": "Testing",
    "message": "Camera",
    "data": {
        "entity_id": "camera.camera_front_garden"
    }
}

When I send this to my MacBook running the companion, I get a notification with a still image. I was expecting a stream - but this is pretty useful.

When I change to my Android device (Pixel 5), There is no stream or still image.

Any reason why the difference in behavior? Is there a fix?

this feature does not exist for android, check the docs to find out what works and doesnt

Ah, thanks. I was referencing the docs but didn’t realise the entire page was IOS-specific! I’m even more confused why it sorta works on the OSX companion app when it’s not mentioned

Cheers

Is this still a current limitation on Android? I don’t get images or streams on my Pixel 7 either. Any workaround?

Why don’t you show what you tried? Did you read the docs to see how to show an image?

Just a simple call service. I only get the message, not the camera image.

service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_7
data:
  title: Front Door
  data:
    entity_id: camera.blueiris_frontdoor

To show the camera image you need to follow Standard Attachments | Home Assistant Companion Docs

I saw that but missed this important section…

notify

This code works now! Thanks much.

service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_7
data:
  title: Front Door
  data:
    image: /api/camera_proxy/camera.blueiris_frontdoor

Hi there, new to home assistant and trying to figure this out with a blue iris camera setup as well and can’t seem to get it to work on my Samsung S22 Android phone. The message comes through but no attachment. I read through the “Standard Attachments” Documentation but no luck.

Things I’ve tried:
*I tried Siereone code above with

service: notify.mobile_app_s22
data:
  title: Cam
  data:
    image: /api/camera_proxy/camera.dog_cam

*I’ve also tried

service: notify.mobile_app_s22
data:
  title: Cam
  data:
    entity_id: camera.dog_cam

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Make sure your server is remotely accessible for images to get downloaded. Notifications arrive using firebase so remote access isn’t needed for the message itself to arrive.

1 Like