Indoor positioning

I’ve been trying on and off for the past months to find enough info on indoor positioning to actually set it up but keep failing. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.
What I’m trying to achieve is:

• Indoor positioning on room level
  • BLE devices being tracked (eg Fitbit, the missus doesn’t always have her phone with her)
  • Data doesn’t leave the house
  • Preferably open source

Does anyone know of anything that can do what I’m looking for?

Your own room assistant server - search on here, to get you going …

Thank you for replying! Correct me if I’m wrong but this seems to only detect home/away status instead of location on room level

Thank you for your suggestions! I’ve been tinkering with Find3 a bit but will look further into passive scanning, the active one requires an app on a phone which won’t work. For that reason Zanzito is also not an option.
Room Assistant might work as well, depending on how many PIs I’d need to cover the whole house. When I looked at RA last I couldn’t figure how it worked so I never tried it. There seems to be no learning involved so I don’t see how it could correctly know which room the user is. If I understand it correctly RA scans for BLE tags and measures their distance, relying on the room name the tag supplies to then deduct which room the tracked item is in, instead of having a learning mode like Find3. I’m afraid that this would makes it either less reliable or require more beacons (maybe even servers) to be able to detect transitions between rooms correctly.
Passive Find3 and RA are both worth a/another try though, thank you!

@Fester

I know this was posted a couple of years ago, but I was wondering how you went with your Indoor Positioning System?
I have been researching it now and struggling a bit. I tried Room Assistant, but I found it too unstable. Beacons would keep jumping between rooms constantly, even when I tried to manually tweak distances. Happy Bubbles looked promising, but the developer has abandoned that now and no one else has picked it up.
I’d like to know what you ended up going with and how it worked out.

I’m working w/ a fork of esp32 mqtt room w/ a app daemon app to do the scipy/numpy best fit of 6 stations. It is giving me a result! I need to do a better job of figuring out the x,y,z coords of each of the base stations but i’m getting what looks like stable data out of it. Anybody know of a lovelace card that can show x,y,z positions?

1 Like