Industrial spring-loaded button

I’m having a house built and I decided I needed a serious spring loaded button in the garage. Why? Because they’re fun to push :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. And I thought I could trigger various things (e.g., single push to open garage door … double push to open garage door, arm alarm system after delay, adjust temp, turn off lights … long push close garage door).

So I bought a CAMDEN-CM-3000G-BZ from jmac.com (it was much cheaper there for some reason). But then I realized I had no idea how to connect it to anything. I looked at Shelly stuff and nothing was suitable. Then miraculously Shelly released the Shelly Plus i4 DC WiFi 4 Digital Inputs. Then even more miraculously I read the online instructions at Home Assistant, and it turns out, if you read instructions carefully you don’t need to spend all day Googling – who’d have thought? Got it working in HA tests for single, double, triple, and long push. House is not finished being built so won’t install for another few months.

Lingering thoughts in case someone has insights:

• The Shelly Plus i4 DC has bluetooth. What would someone use that for? Why does it have bluetooth? When I use the Shelly iPhone app to connec to it am I using Bluetooth. Should I just turn it off?
  • Should I now “secure” the Shelly so someone nearby can’t access it? I want to be cautious so I don’t cut myself off from controlling and configuring the Shelly.

the shelly’s bluetooth is something relatively new to the shelly platform.
this will act as a hub for their new ble devices:
fe. a keychain button is coming:

or for more ‘advanced’ users you can flash new firmware to shelly and use it as any other ble hub.

what do you mean when you say ‘secure’ the shelly :slight_smile:
the shelly is as secure as your network / general wifi protocol.
you could set an extra device pin if you don’t trust everyone on your own wifi network.

1 Like

I guess maybe I will just turn off the Shelly cloud. I mean I don’t know why I would use their software if I’m using Home Assistant software. Plus this particular Shelly doesn’t “operate” anything. It just passes a signal to Home Assistant.