Influx DB & MS SQL for logger?

I’ve been using the InfluxDB config since day one but I’m very familiar with MS SQL and been debating using it for a while.

My InfluxDB now feels useless as for some reason I can’t get the UI to load (seen others with the same issue).

I have two questions…

1. Can I run MS SQL logger with InfluxDB?
  2. Does MS SQL setup it’s own tables?

That’s a strange statement.
You never need to go influxdb itself, really. You make use of the stored data in e.g., grafana.

1 Like

Agreed, but I liked to understand how the tables are constructed etc.
I have the data pulling to Grafana too.

Fair enough, but no sure how not being able to see the structure via UI (you can still use the CLI) makes it useless…

That question doesn’t make sense to me.
You cannot use Infludb as the HA logger if it’s what you mean.

I have somewhat limited access as I’m using Docker on a Synology NAS… Don’t really like using SSH on the NAS.

The question I’m trying to ask is, can I log anything to my Microsoft SQL Server?
I’ve looked into the Recorder but this fails when I try to connect to the MS SQL.

Also looking into this post by Rusty_Shakleford and he mentions some dependencies but he didn’t need to install them.

So the main question is, has anybody got anything logging to MS SQL :slight_smile:

Well, yes. It’s in the post you linked.
If that didn’t work for you, it’s because your setup is different, I guess.
If you don’t tell us what errors you get, we won’t be able to help you.

EDIT: for clarity, note that if are using the recorder, the data will be purged at regular intervals, so you won’t be able to do long-term statistics with, e.g., grafana unless you set a very high purge_keep_days, which will consume an absurd amount of disk space.

Thought I’d come back to this topic and give MS SQL another try.
Stumbled across this post which worked perfectly… I now have some data in MS SQL.