Infrared Control

Which one do you have?
Mijia or Mi?

The Mija one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32747613750.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.373f4c4dXU7hDp

Is it easy to use? Can you teach it codes through HA or do you need an app or third party program?

it does involve some steps like retreiving the device’s token and adding it to HA but nothing difficult really. Look up the existing documentation about it. It’s worth it if you want a device that works 100% local.
By sending a mqtt command you can put the device in ‘learning’ mode for 10 seconds or so. During this time you push a button on your remote and then a string of code appears as a notification in HA. You can then use this string however you like in automations and scripts. For example: if I turn on my media player (nvidia Shield) it sends an adb command to HA so HA knows it’s on. HA then uses the IR remote to send a ‘turn on’ message the TV and receiver.
Same proces when I turn the Shield off.
This way I reduced 3 remotes into 1.

2 Likes

That sounds great. My RM mini just came in today and I wasted wasted he whole day trying to get it to work. So yes, don’t buy the RM mini 3.

So as a WiFi device, you just pair it to the mija app and then retrieve the token. Can you delete the app afterwards?

I am going to order 2 Xiaomi Mijia IR Remote controllers, so I am just wondering can You please share Your configuration. Is it possible to put device to learning mode without mqtt?

Hii @Infiniti

but what about this https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/broadlink/ . I guess this component supports the RM Mini devices for home assistant

Sounds really good. I just ordered one for myself. Sadly it’s only avaliable to order from China it seems :frowning: My country’s (Sweden) postal service adds a pretty hefty fee for handling Chinese packages… but the device itself was pretty cheap so it’s still worth it if it works as well as you say :slight_smile:

Did any of you get the Xiaomi Mijia IR remotes working? I just ordered one based on the discussion and was wondering if I could get a few tips or how-to links that worked before it gets here. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I also wanted some ir controllers to control from HA.
Xiaomi Mijia IR works without a gateway? Also how will I retrieve token without a gateway?

For info the AVATTO S06 / BAKEEYcan be flashed with another firmware:

So no need now, to prototype for having an infrared gateway fully controlled!

Hello. I had bought a similar unbranded product and I tried to flash it with tuya-convert unsuccessfully. Do Have you managed to flash it this way or soldering is the only option? (anykind of hint would be appreciated!)

This one (AVATTO S06 / BAKEEY) does not work with tuya-convert (newest firmware), I had to solder. Yours looks the same.

Thanks @francisp for the reply and sorry for asking again. When I opened the case, the circuits look a bit different. I don’t know if this is the correct forum to ask for help, but would anyone help me with wiring?
Thank you!

2 Likes

Morning folks, are people still having problems getting the Broadcom integrated in Hass or is that a resolved issue? Looking around for the Xiaomi, its not on their website anymore and suppliers are scarce, did they discontinue it? Any other good local non solder options for IR popping up?

Are there any dirt cheap, basic ones of these out there? I just want to turn on my ST50 Panasonic Television (wake on lan does NOT work for this model, even via Eth - after years of googling, it’s just not possible)

I had the same issue with my GT60. Ended up with the Mijia from Aliexpress. It’s been working perfectly since day one.

Broadlink works great now - it did have trouble in 2020 before the integration was upgraded thanks to the great work of the maintainers. You don’t even need the Broadlink app at all, there’s a python script to first configure the transmitters.

I have three RM 3 minis in 3 different rooms (the red kind), working very reliably.

4 Likes

I bought the RM4 mini and the app is complete junk. Various sets of instructions on the website, in the pamphlet that comes with it, and in the app itself all inconsistent and none of it worked. It might work great with HA after you get it connected to wifi but I am returning mine and looking for something different.