Infrared Control

Hi everybody !!

I’m looking for the control of my infrared items (TV, Hifi…).
But I’ve got trouble with other topic on the forum because my items are in differents rooms !

How could I control it with HA ?
What sort of emitter should I use ?

thank you !!

Broadlink Mini for IR only, buy one for each room :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I second @keithh666 the broadlink devices are the way to go. I have a mini in the office for an air conditioner and the pro in the living room for the TV and control of all of my other 433mhz devices.

1 Like

Have a look at https://github.com/1technophile/OpenMQTTGateway/wiki if you want to build your own

I was researching for building my own with a NodeMCU board which can be bought for under 3$.
I wanted to make it as cheap as possible because I only need it for 2 functions on 1 device.

Hi !

thank you so much for your answers !!
I finally choose the keithh666’s solution.

I received my Broadlink rm3 mini yesterday, and it works really good !!

Thank you again !

1 Like

How do you control that devices over hass? I can only see an app. Is there an api to send commands to it?

I don’t think there is an official API but someone figured it out. There is a broadlink HA component. Just set it up

1 Like

Great, thanks

Is that also working for the new one

http://www.ibroadlink.com/rm/

Or only with the old one linked on top?

The rm pro 2? If so yeah it works with that.

It seems that it phones home alot… https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/7uyfop/my_broadlink_sp_mini_is_phoning_home_once_or/

That’s why you block internet access for them …and everything else that you don’t need the original app for.

1 Like

Did you manage to build one using a NodeMCU? I’m looking into it and think there will be options when using esphomelib.

I went with the the Global Cache IP2IR device. It has a web interface where you can send it commands, and it then sends the IR signals to one of three outputs.

I then wrote a java application that takes an xml input file. You call the program and tell it the command to send. I have two - one in my kitchen that controls a TV, and another in the living room that controls another TV, DVR, Bluray Player and Roku.

device:

my java application:

I cannot share this recommendation. After buying a Broadlink RM3 mini I found out that the devices do not accept Wi-Fi passwords longer than 32 characters (against Wi-Fi standard) and the instructions in the app even go as far as to state you should only use alphanumeric characters (i.e. no special characters). The app also requires way too many permissions (camera, local storage, …) some of which it did not use (never activated the camera while I tried to set up the RM3 mini for example).

I can only caution people against making the same mistake as I did and instead stay away from Broadlink devices where possible. (In my case I ended up ripping the Broadlink board off of the IR module and soldering the latter to a Wemos D1 mini. Now I can use the IR LEDs and IR receiver with Sonoff Tasmota via MQTT, all without crippling my Wi-Fi security.)

7 Likes

@Steltek: Can you please share how you connected the D1 to the broadlink IR board? I seem to have made the same mistake in buying the RM3 mini and I don’t want to install the app (and give it all the permissions it requires) and change my WiFi password (I can confirm the RM3 does not accept special characters).

1 Like

Any writeup available?

There is a RM4 out, anyone tried this? Does it behave differently?

1 Like

Hi everyone. Just bought the RM Mini 3 to discover it’s no longer compatible with Home Assistant. Just wanted to warn everyone Googling and ending up in this thread. Newer devices ships with new firmware which doesn’t let you learn the Broadlink codes anymore outside the official app.

2 Likes

I can recommend the xiaomi ir remote. Can be used without app and cloud by retrieving the device token.