INKBIRD IBS-TH2 Use

Good morning all,

I purchased an Inkbird IBS-TH2 (temperature only) sensor for a project. I have been trying to get ESPHome to give me the readings from the sensor for way too much time. The problem I am having is that it takes on the order of 10-30 minutes to even discover the thermometer, and then it never gets a reading from it. Posted below is the YAML code for the setup. Can anyone see anything wrong? I followed the guide at the ESPHome web site. The only thing I can see is maybe I need to specify a different platform, but I could not find a list of platforms for this configuration so I just used the one in the example. Configuration YAML is posted below. Any help would be appreciated.

esphome:
  name: inkbird-test

esp32:
  board: esp32dev
  framework:
    type: arduino

# Enable logging

logger:
  level: VERY_VERBOSE

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  encryption:
    key: <REDACTED>

ota:
  password: <REDACTED>

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Inkbird-Test Fallback Hotspot"
    password: <REDACTED>

captive_portal:

esp32_ble_tracker:
  scan_parameters:
    interval: 60s

sensor:
  - platform: inkbird_ibsth1_mini
    mac_address: 49:22:05:17:40:84
    temperature:
      name: "Inkbird-Test-Temp"

HA supports InkBird via Bluetooth now directly and works great. If esp-home is not needed just use built in support.

I have tried it in Home Assistant and all I get when i add the integration is “No sensors detected on network” and I can go no further. Running HA 2022.10.3 on a Raspberry Pi. I have no idea what is going on there.

I will probably need the ESPHome as the sensor is going to be in a refrigerator/freezer. Having the ESP32 close by will ensure incan get the bluetooth signal.

I use one for inside fridge too(Bluetooth) also have one 70 feet away and outside (pool temps) and they still work via Bluetooth. I did get a external Bluetooth for my pi.

Any ideas on why Home Assistant will not recognize my unit? I am sure I am missing something but I have no idea what. It sees other bluetooth devices I have.

Did you try pulling battery on InkBird and re-installing battery? Should see it very quickly after inserting battery also update your home assistant to latest couldn’t hurt

There is also this great integration Passive BLE Monitor integration in hacs I used befor it was supported in HA direct. Maybe use it instead of built in Bluetooth you might find it a bit better… though HA directly should be working fine too

It seems illogical if the sensor only measures battery voltage and temperature
but not humidity that all 3 parameters should still be listed in the .yaml script as follows because Esphome uses a common driver for IBS-TH1, IBS-TH1 Mini and IBS-TH2 :

# Example configuration entry
esp32_ble_tracker:

sensor:

- platform: inkbird_ibsth1_mini
    mac_address: 49:22:05:17:40:84
    temperature:
       name: "Inkbird IBS-TH2 Temperature"
    humidity:
       name: "Inkbird IBS-TH2 Humidity"
    battery_level:
       name: "Inkbird IBS-TH2 Battery Level"  

If you add the Inkbird integration in HA, you will then find the IBS sensors 2 times, 
once under IBS device and once under Esphome .