INKERSCOOP and MIPC camera integration

Hello everybody, this is my first post here, so i hope that the section is correct.
I’m a computer science student that loves home automation :slight_smile:

Some month ago i bought 2 cheap chinese outdoor IP cameras for my parents and i would like to integrate them with a home assistant server that i made at their house. However, due to the lack of any REST API, is quite hard to generate the URL to access the camera’s images or video.

Description

The aim of this project is to understand how the INKERSCOOP cameras or in general the cameras managed by the MIPC platform communicates, in order to integrate them into Home Assistant. playstore, apk, mipc website.

MIPC is a chinese software used to controll some security cameras.
The camera that i bought is an INKERSCOOP 720P IP Outdoor WIFI camera, the installation procedure went smoothly, the build quality is good and the image quality (both in day and night mode) is pretty good for the price, so I’m overall satisfied of my purchase. The only main drawback is that it is extremely hard to connect the camera to other platforms due to the lack of any public API.

Progress so far

I’m still not capable of opening the video stream, but i made some progress with the snapshot (single frame).
I discovered that the URL of the image has this format:

http://<IP>/ccm/ccm_pic_get.jpg?hfrom_handle=887330&dsess=1&dsess_nid=<TOKEN>&dsess_sn=<USERNAME>&dtoken=p0_xxxxxxxxxx

If I use the link above into the generic ip camera component of Home Assistant i can obtain around 2fps, obviously not as smooth as a video but still quite useful for a security camera

Parameter Explanation

• hfrom_handle => no idea but it seams to be not important. The value is hard coded in the javascript files
  • dsess => again, no idea and not important (value is hard coded)
  • dsess_nid => most important parameter and the most difficult to extract, it is a token for the session and it expires in around 1 or 2 days, so it must be regenerated frequently
  • dsess_sn => username of the camera or the mipc account, i guess. (i only tried to connect directly with my camera)
  • dtoken => represent the quality of the image queried. p0_xxxxxxxxxx=(1280x720), p1_xxxxxxxxxx=(640x360), p2_xxxxxxxxxx=(320x180)

While most of the parameters can be easily determined, the dsess_nid is impossible to guess and it has to be generated following their procedure.

First I tried to inspect the mipc website, but due to the minification of the files, it was almost impossible to extract something useful.

Then i tried to decompile the apk file using an online tool http://www.javadecompilers.com/apk, and i finally found some clues.
Inside the apk there is an asset folder full of non minified html and javascript files.
One file in particular has been very helpful:assets/add_device_html/get.html. ‘Get.html’ is probably a test file used to develope their software. I slightly modified it to generate the dsess_nid and other parameters specifying only the ip, username and password of the camera.

What is missing

Right now i just created a webpage that can generate the URL of a camera with a refreshed dsess_nid, so, not much. The webpage uses the same javascript library used in the MIPC website but I still not completely understood all the procedures involved.

The library are quite complex and I would need some help to fully understand them and create a python script, or hassio addon capable of renewing the URL and maybe control other functionalities such as the motion detection and day/night mode.

Since what I did is a small modification of a decompiled software, i’m not sure that I can legally share the code on github, however, if you just need to find the dsess_nid, you can just add this line

console.log(agent.create_nid())

inside the agent.sign_in function in the get.html file.

I hope that someone with a lot of patience and a mipc camera wants to help me in this reverse engineering project

3 Likes

Do you have a repo setup we can join in to help with?

Hey, any news about this?
I have just bought a similar camera and I’m trying to figure out how to get a static dynamic link as well.

Hi @cherokee93
unfortunately i didn’t put any more effort on those cameras, mostly because i found a workaround that is good enough for my parent’s use.
Basically I installed tiny cam pro on an android tv box that is always active and i managed to connect all the cameras, the Inkerscoop and other 2 Reolink, to this awesome app.

Ps.
I read a post from the developer of tinycam pro who said that the integration of those cameras was a pain and he still didn’t managed to make the video feed works (only images in sequence, between 1 and 3 fps on a mibox3)

Basically I installed tiny cam pro on an android tv box that is always active and i managed to connect all the cameras, the Inkerscoop and other 2 Reolink, to this awesome app.

Yeah, I bought Tinycam some years ago and it’s really amazing. Yesterday when I’ve tried to set it up but it didn’t work with my camera (using Keekon KK001 preset), probably some wrong settings, I need to try some more.

It sucks to not have control on these cameras because for 19.99€ each, they’re amazing :confused:

Sorry if it took me so much to reply.
I’m not 100% sure but, if i remember correctly, I used the vimtag camera preset within tiny cam pro.
Give it a try :wink:

Yes it works, thanks a lot :slight_smile: The problem is I get like 1 frame each 3 seconds :thinking: :man_shrugging:

I noticed that in full screen mode I also have an awful frame-rate (<= 1fps) but in the 4 views window the (most important for our needs), the situation is a little better with around 3fps. It still sucks but, is better than nothing :slight_smile: and I learned a company to avoid for future projects

Yeah, the problem is that like 90% of chinese cheap webcams are locked like this :smile:

Thanks for your findings and help. Grazie! :wink:

Not sure if people are still interested in this thread, but I bought one of those cameras recently. 20$ with free returns what could be better? So I played around with it and was able to connect Agent DVR to the cam using ONVIF connection. I use this software to run my surveillance system. Agent DVR has HASSIO integration. The setup worked nicely for several months, until yesterday. All of a sudden Agent couldn’t connect to the camera, even if I regenerate the links (assuming some tokens changed). The provided app still worked with the camera, so it wasn’t the network connection. I did a factory reset and Agent connected again. Even Synology Surveillance app can connect using ONVIF connection. So, fingers crossed, it may keep working for another couple of months…

have you considered sharing the code now? Given these cameras are from China, and the maker copies the code themselves, there really isn’t a real risk to sharing.

can anyone help me with this i have one of those cameras from lefon I got it from amazon for 30 euros and I just want to just add it

if anyone is still interested in the topic, I have written a Python client for the crappy MIPC API out of frustration with their app and broken web UI:

with this code you can get a RTSP stream URL and a JPEG snapshot given the camera’s address, username and password - not sure how to integrate that into HA myself though

1 Like