Input_number not showing as a slider?

Hi,

I am trying to configure my lights so they show a slider in the frontend, instead of the current setup where I have to press the light to get to the slider.

I have added the following code to my configuration.yaml
input_number:

input_number:
  slider1:
    name: Slider
    initial: 30
    min: 1
    max: 244
    step: 1
    mode: slider

And I have added the following code to my automations.yaml

- alias: spisebordslider
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: input_number.slider1
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data_template:
        entity_id: light.lampe_ved_sknk
        brightness: '{{ trigger.to_state.state | int }}'

But it just shows a a regular button in the front end instead of the slider? Anyone who can help me to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

It’s a separate entity so you have to add it to the frontend into your group if you want to see it any where near your light.
So from my groups.yaml…

#default_view:
my_home:
  name: Home
  view: yes
  entities:    
    - group.livingroom
    - group.kitchen

livingroom:
  name: Livingroom
  entities:    
    - light.zw_uplight_dimmer_level
    - input_number.lruplighterbrightness_slider <------- for the above light
1 Like

Thank you for helping Keith - much appreciated! Though, I’m not sure I understand what you mean by adding it to the frontend into my group?

I edited my post above :slight_smile:

Great! That solved. Thank your for your help! You have made me a much more calm man! :wink:

1 Like

i know this is old and probably a stupid question, but do you know if i can make this work with a wifi wall plug (wemo)

im sure it isnt but would be cool!

Errm I don’t have any Wemo light switches but if you are talking about these https://www.home-assistant.io/components/light.wemo/ I assume they already have a dimmer control when you click the switch?

It’s actually this one

As far as I can tell that’s just a switch so it only does on and off.

Thanks what I’m thinking too, I didn’t know if there was a way to trick HA into thinking it was a bulb. Thanks for your reply, I’ll probably just add a dimmer knob to the cord of my lamp that I’m trying to dim. The issue is it’s small leds and I’m not sure if they can be dimmed or not.

You could trick HA into thinking it’s a bulb but that wouldn’t allow HA to dim it as the hardware doesn’t allow it, you would need a special LED dimmer control.

i did try a dimmer extention cord but it made my lights flicker like a strobe light. So I might be out of luck. I like the lamp but i think its way too bright.

Yep that will happen with a non LED dimmer as all it does is reduce the ac by chopping it up, which makes the LEDs flicker.

it was for leds, but i believe it was for standard screw in type bulbs. Do you think I would get the same result if i spliced a regular dial dimmer on the power cord?

A regular dimmer can only dim incandescent/halogen bulbs for the reason I stated above. Basically LEDs need dc and incandescent bulbs need ac.