Input_select list - Dynamic population

Hi, How can I populate an input select list dynamically?

For example, I want my input select list to show all switches as the options (or their friendly name)

2 Likes

I am looking for the same thing. I am trying to populate an input_select with all available DLNA players.

I can get these into an HTTP sensor, but I think I need a foreach function within HASS, to take that list/array and use it to populate the input_select.

I know it’s many years on and I may have come to this late in the day but I have still not found a simple method of programmatically maintaining dynamic dropdown lists within HA.

I resorted to using the HA rest api in python.

assuming a valid long lived token this works for me.

from requests import get,post

apitoken = 'xxxxx'
  apiheaders   = {"Authorization": "Bearer {0}".format(apitoken), "content-type": "application/json",}
  entity = 'input_select.myselect'
  ENDPOINT = 'api/services/input_select/set_options'
  optionlist = ["option1","option2"] 
  DATA = {"entity_id": entity, "options": optionlist}
  response = post('http://homeassistanturl:port/' + ENDPOINT, json = DATA, headers=apiheaders)

which I use encapsulated in a python library to be called by functions that need to dynamically update a dropdown in the ui.

It is very fast to update.

One of the ways I use this is to populate dropdowns of remote controls and associated keys (from a database) to allow manual sending of IR and RF codes (via tasmota bridges) by selecting their function rather than hex code.

I know it isn’t HA-native but gets around a very poor implementation of these UI elements.

You’re only making it hard for yourself. You can simply just use a service call in an automation…

- service: input_select.set_options
  data:
    entity_id: input_select.myselect
    options:
    - option1
    - option2
2 Likes

not really, your example does not solve dynamically populated lists. If you follow other threads you will see many monstrous templating efforts, none of which resolve a simple load from a dynamic list.

Your example isn’t dynamic either… the 4 lines I provided is identical to your script

Also, I noticed that your importing which isn’t available in python_scripts. So your example doesn’t really help the thread or hassos users.

FWIW, while attempting to use an input_select as a global list variable, I learned you can dynamically assign whatever options you want but they are all lost after a restart.

Upon startup, an input_select is not initialized with its last-assigned options (because those options are not saved to storage) but will be reset to its default options. In addition, you can’t define an input_select without at least one default option.

Yes but the idea is that you’re solving this with an automation. So you just need to add a home assistant startup trigger that performs the same calculation.

For the application I was working on, the input_select's options are not known in advance (they become known later, if ever). Therefore one would not be able to assign them to an input_select on startup.

Seems like a feature request then! Now that they are helpers, I don’t see why it couldn’t update the config_entry

Not so, Your example sets static values in configuration. Mine interacts programmatically, and changes options dynamically - in my case against a mysql database.
I apologise for being unhelpful to hassos users. I’ll delete myself from the forum, saving you the effort

I see you’re upset, but I’m just pointing out that verbaitum the example you posted can be done without a script. This is what you’re passing to the service:

optionlist = ["option1","option2"]

which is a static list.

No where in your example is it dynamic, which is why we are having this conversation…

The point is that the option list can be the result of a mysql query or a TSDB query or any other data source which can feed the list dynamically. A click on an item in one dropdown can be made to cause an update in another one.
I have tried your suggested method to do this without success.
I made a mistake by putting my musings in a post. No worries.

1 Like

I don’t think you did, but I do think it would be better as a stand alone thread with a detailed explanation. The users that find your code helpful aren’t going to be looking for a revived 3 year old configuration thread. They’ll be cruising the share your projects or developers.

1 Like