Input Slider

I’m trying to get a slider fixed underneath my player selection. I got this out of Bob_NL’s thread, but can’t find any solution to get this sorted out.
I might be overseeing something…

When i put this in my configuration.yaml Home assistant is happy :slight_smile:

# Radio Button Select
input_select:
  radio_station:
    name: 'Welke zender wil je luisteren:'
    options:
      - Radio 538
      - Radio 538 Ibiza
      - SLAM!
      - SLAM! The Boom Room
      - SLAM! Hardstyle
      - SLAM! juize
      - Q-Music
      - Q-Music Christmas Station
      - FunX Slow Jamz
      - FunX Reggae
      - 3FM
      - 100% NL
      - Veronica
      - Sky Radio
      - Sky Radio Christmas
      - Arrow Classic Rock
      - Classic FM
      - BNR Nieuwsradio
      - Radio Art - Sleep
      - Ambi Nature Radio
      - Calm Radio - Sleep
      - Dinamo.FM Sleep
  chromecast_radio:
    name: 'Op welk apparaat wil je het afspelen:'
    options:
      - Woonkamer
      - Overloop
      - Allemaal
    initial: Allemaal
    icon: mdi:speaker-wireless

When i try to add the slider it get’s angry:

# Radio Button Select
input_select:
  radio_station:
    name: 'Welke zender wil je luisteren:'
    options:
      - Radio 538
      - Radio 538 Ibiza
      - SLAM!
      - SLAM! The Boom Room
      - SLAM! Hardstyle
      - SLAM! juize
      - Q-Music
      - Q-Music Christmas Station
      - FunX Slow Jamz
      - FunX Reggae
      - 3FM
      - 100% NL
      - Veronica
      - Sky Radio
      - Sky Radio Christmas
      - Arrow Classic Rock
      - Classic FM
      - BNR Nieuwsradio
      - Radio Art - Sleep
      - Ambi Nature Radio
      - Calm Radio - Sleep
      - Dinamo.FM Sleep
  chromecast_radio:
    name: 'Op welk apparaat wil je het afspelen:'
    options:
      - Woonkamer
      - Overloop
      - Allemaal
    initial: Allemaal
    icon: mdi:speaker-wireless
input_slider:
  volume_radio:
    name: Volume
    icon: mdi:volume-high
    min: 0
    max: 1
    step: 0.05 

I also tried splitting things apart by creating a “inputs.yaml” file and in configuration.yaml added the input: !include inputs.yaml but that messed up things way more cause home assistant couldn’t find the integration of inputs :confused:

I think you need to be using input_number, rather than input_slider.

1 Like

Why do you think?. Doesn’t that give me an input box for a number instead of a slider bar?.

This is how Bob_N said it in his topic, but i’m making a mistake somewhere :confused:

Because that’s what you need to do.

Because that’s what it used to be called when Bob made that thread.

1 Like

Actually, the question is why do you think it’s called input_slider? There’s no such integration (there used to be one until its name was changed to input_number many, many versions ago).

A secondary question is who is Bob_NL (or is it Bob_N) and how old is the post he wrote?

Did you actually read the link that was provided to you or are you just guessing?

short answer, this is the code you need:

input_number: 
  volume_radio:

because as per above, that integration’s name was changed a long time ago (but after Bob_NL created the package)

Works like a charm :slight_smile:
Do you perhaps know if it’s possible to move this whole input part to a seperate YAML file, like input.yaml or something simular?.

You can if you want. If you put it in input_numbers.yaml like you could/would with automations.yaml etc then just be sure to remove the opening input_number: header, so it would just be:

input_numbers.yaml

volume_radio:

that said, it depends how you include that file… if its in a package, no change to the original is required, if its linked from your configuration.yaml like:

input_number: !include input_numbers.yaml

then you remove the input_number: header confused yet? :joy:

Out of curiosity, why didn’t you mark Ashcroft’s post as the Solution? It was the very first post that suggested you use input_number instead of input_slider. That’s the only change required to correct the problem.

I think, probably, because @ashscott assumed the OP would actually ‘read’ responses
Whereas @sparkydave just handed it to him on a sugar coated spoon ???
:rofl:

Ohh my… Excuse me… Didn’t know it was that important.

I like to be spoonfed, don’t you?. The difference is do you learn something from it… Yeah i do :slight_smile: . Because i read all comments. Just didn’t expect it to be so important to mark the first reaction which solves it to be the solution.

This is the thread i was referring to.
It’s quite old i see.

No, I like to know what I did wrong, where I should go to read up to correct it, and by implication be able to resolve similar issues in future without moaning from the backseat.
@ashscott 's response was perfect for that.
You didn’t even check that there was an integration for input_slider, you just attacked the first guy that told you that there wasn’t

Quite old indeed. Three years ago and 73 releases ago! Home Assistant version 0.39 was released in February 2017.

It’s the custom of this community to attribute the Solution to the first contributor who identifies the source of the problem and offers a solution. However, you are, of course, free to select another post and mark it as Solution, especially if it is a more complete solution.

In this case, the source of the problem was that you had used a deprecated entity domain (input_slider) and ashcroft correctly identified that it should be replaced by input_number. That’s the solution right there. However, if you feel there’s a need to see the solution used in an example, that’s your choice.

Well that’s one way.
My knowledge is in something else, so i’d like to compare and see what and were i did something wrong.

And why are you suggesting that i was attacking him?. What part?, Why would i?..
Was asking for some guidence. Nothing more.

Let’s wrap this up.
@ashscott gave me the information i needed. @sparkydave chewed it down for me.

Thanks both :heart:

Edited in a small warning notice to that Bob_NL post about the rename to input_number.

It’s always recommended to check the documentation when having problems like this, since great effort is made to ensure the documentation is kept up to date with the latest release. That’s almost never going to be the case with old forum posts from several years ago.

Also, you can now add and edit this stuff directly in the UI at Configuration -> Helpers.

1 Like

Just a quick note on this particular example. The original thread does actually explain the switch from input_slider to input_number right here. It was actually brought up quite a few times by others who skipped over the change and subsequently ran into trouble.

Hi there,
Bob_NL here. Indeed, the component changed since I created the topic. Thanks for adding the warning notice @SeanM! I can’t change the post anymore, otherwise I had changed the config on several points in the meantime.

3 Likes

No problem. I never understood why Discourse limits people from editing their own topics after a certain point. If you or anyone else needs something edited in the future, always feel free to PM or tag me :slight_smile:

2 Likes