Install again ZWave at restart of HA :(

Hi

So this is second time I install HA on PI3 using the image avalaible on HA website. Once downloaded I installed it with success on my PI and started to install additional stuffs needed using the hassbian script. Basically I installed and setup with success MQTT server then I go with ZWave. I select the pip version and so it starts installation of it. Once finished, I stop HA, edit configuration to add Zwave section with USB port of stick and then restart HA and then it triggers automatically again the PIP installation of ZWave :frowning: Second time it happens on a fresh system !
Might it be a bug in the image ?

Thanks,

Vincèn

@vincen the Zwave install takes a while and after the script show done, there are still some things not quite done. If you restart before the install is completely done it will likely reinstall. Just let it sit.

@zarthan Just to be sure I understand fully as documentations are all differents and say different things so it’s so confusing !!! From what I have read, once installed on Pi, script will automatically install HA ! Once HA is started installation is done right ?
then I stop HA, and run the hassbian script to install zwave-pip which takes a while ! Once done I restart HA and then it triggers again installation of zwave !!
So what did I do wrong here ? is initial script installs by itself zwave now ? and so hassbian step is useless ??

Update: tried a new installation and this is how I proceeded: start the Pi with brand new image and let it run one hour so it has time to install HA and dependancies ! After one hour HA was well started and running. I then stop it and edit config file to add just the declaration of USB port and zwave. I restart HA, it triggers installation of Zwave stuffs that fails miserably:

2017-06-04 09:20:22 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of sensor is taking over 10 seconds.
2017-06-04 09:22:49 ERROR (Thread-10) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package python_openzwave==0.4.0.31: Command "/srv/homeassistant/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-re9cxexv/python-openzwave/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-hh0_y28x-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /srv/homeassistant/include/site/python3.4/python-openzwave --home=/tmp/tmp2myx47ag" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-re9cxexv/python-openzwave/
2017-06-04 09:22:49 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Not initializing zwave because could not install dependency python_openzwave==0.4.0.31
2017-06-04 09:22:49 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for zwave: Could not install all requirements.

PS: I noticed that now it installs HA 0.46.0 and no more 0.45.1 !! This new version is supposed to inclade Zwave in it no ?

So for sure documentation about hassbian on HA website is deprecated and not working and image looks not to work also :frowning: I had understood it was supposed to be the easiest way to install HA and get it working out of box with ZWave but it looks it’s not also :frowning:

Happy to hear any suggestions…

Thanks for clarification !

@vincen Think of the script as a starter’s pistol. Once the starter fires the pistol, the starter can go home. The race isn’t done yet, but the starters job is done.
When you first start the hasbian image, there are scripts that run in the background to install hass. It will take several minutes to complete. Once it is complete, you can start the Zwave install. Remember the starter pistol analogy. The install script starts the install and even when it shows done, there are lots of things happening in the background. I just ran the update, and once the script had completed, there was still upgrades going on in the background for about 15 minutes. If you were to launch a second script while a background install was still running, you would likely have errors, especially if there was a dependency that hadn’t been installed yet.
I just ran through the hasbian install a couple of weeks ago, so I know it works. Make sure to read everything carefully. Be patient.

@zarthan Thanks for explanation and I waited each time because in all matters HA starts only once script has finished !! I think the main issue was that documentation still says you to start the script to install things you need such as ZWave while HA installs it automatically in recent version as soon as you declare ZWave in configuration file !! At the end you got two times install and a mess in the ZWave part :frowning: The easiest and successful way I found was to install regular raspbian on PI and then use the script to install HA and then it works :slight_smile:

I had not noticed the part about HA automatically installing Zwave as soon as you add zwave to the configuration. Glad you figured it out and have it working.

1 Like