Install custom components

Where must i put the custom components.

Thanks

Depends on what this custom component is capable of.

• Sometimes you can install it via HACS ā†’ Integrations ā†’ 3 dots ā†’ Custom repositories ā†’ put that GitHub link under ā€˜repositoryā€™
  • Or in other instances you have to apply a folder under confit/custom_components and put the downloaded files in there

Which custom component do you want to install? Usually thereā€™re instrucion in the repository that will guide you.

1 Like

The garbage calendar

Although you seem not as a man of many words a link or 2-3 words more would probably help to help you.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Do you mean Garbage Collection? Instructions are in the GitHub repository. Or do you mean Waste Collection Schedule? Instruction are in there, too.

1 Like

Yes Github where you get it from or HACSā€¦ will have instructions. Take from a guy that has had to learn the VERY hardwayā€¦ please read every line of the instructions. I struggled with something for a weekā€¦ NOW had I read ā€˜panel viewā€™ā€¦ like I totally skipped that partā€¦ things would have gone smoothly because the minute I did what I was supposed to doā€¦ VIOLAā€¦ it worked exactly as it should have. I have a VERY annoying habit of not reading thingsā€¦

If I try something and itā€™s not working I go back and read it againā€¦ if Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve read everything and still have a problem then I ask. Not saying you shouldnā€™t ask as Iā€™m sure youā€™re smarter then I am :slight_smile: Iā€™ve had my HA running a couple years nowā€¦ Thanks to a good friend who has held my hand all this time. Itā€™s just been recently that Iā€™m trying things on my own to learn this better. Heā€™s still there but unless I get really stuck he just watches from the background.

Reading and learning is the best thing to do! And Welcome!

2 Likes

Hello

i try and read and try but i cant come any further

Tried to install the garbage-collection.

first I tried it with the garbage-collection folder in Config/custom_components,
then home assistant restarted,
then looked at me addons and at my integrations but there it is not visible.

then tried to add it via respositories there I filled in GitHub - amaximus/garbage-collection-card: Custom Lovelace card for Garbage Collection custom component but then I got this message

Invalid Add-on repository!

Sorry for the bad english

Did you followed the instructions for that on the Github page ?

Do ā€œNoticeā€ this is a Garbage-Collection-Card , that you can use for the Garbage-Collection Integration

PS: So first you follow the instructions for Garbage-Collection ā€¦ Then you can Follow the instructions for Garbage-Collection-Card

i follow the instuctions for the garbage-collection but i cant fint it?

go to /Settings/Devices-Integrations ā€¦ if itā€™s not there(after restart) try to ADD Integration( and search for it ) there.
( PS: i actually donā€™t remember these steps, as i installed HACS after 1 or 2 Custom Components, much easier there to either search in HACS repository, or just Add the URL, to external/custom github ā€œrepositoryā€ ) ā€¦ but even when downloading through HACS, you have to ADD, the integrations, as above.

PS: And followed the ā€œmanualā€ instructions in regards to ā€œConfiguration.yamlā€ for the specific integration, if not ā€œdownloadedā€ via HACS, as this ā€œpartā€ is usually done by HACS