Install Home Assistant on Synology : Docker or Package?

Hi!

Just a quick question. I’m pretty new (let say it rookie) in Home Assistant (didn’t install it so far)

My initial thinking was to install it through Docker… but I read later that it can be install directly into the Synology DSM.

Any pros and cons for that?

I’m also new to Docker so if I can simplify things…

Did you ever get an answer on this? I was thinking of moving my install from a RP3 to my DS218+ but not sure if it will be hard to figure out…

your DS218+ supports docker. So copy your config directory to a shared folder on your Synology, install the Docker package, download the HA container image, setup the container using the gui, command line, or docker-compose and you’ll have the basic HA install going. If you have other things like SSL, Z-Wave, etc then you’ll have a little more advanced setup that requires setting up the container from the command line or docker-compose.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah the issue I’m worried about is how to map the USB Z-Wave/Zigbee stick. I have been using HA for 2 years now but with a RP3 I have all the documentation that got me going but moving off a Pi I think I may be out on a limb…

when you plug the USB Z-Wave stick into the Synology you’ll get a path such as /dev/ttyACM0. You run the HA docker container with the command --privileged which gives the docker container root access to /dev or you can specifically map the device to the container with --device=/dev/ttyACM0. then put usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0 under the zwave: section of your configuration.yaml and you should be all set with Z-Wave.

EDIT: if you have multiple USB devices, you may want to look into creating symlinks to the actual devices. Something like /dev/zwave which is mapped by VID/PID to the appropriate device path regardless if it is /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyACM1, etc. That way when things reboot or reload for any reason, the USB sticks are always mapped correctly.

1 Like

Great Thanks!

Thanks for this. I just rebuilt my HA Docker after being away from the community for some time and forgot this detail. I’ll add this to the doco now too to help others. :slight_smile: