Install Home Assistant Supervised on an existing docker environment (synology)?

Hi everyone,
At the moment, I am using the HA-supervised version on a raspberry pi 4, installed with the provided installer.sh-script. I recently bought a synology ds 920+ and i wanted to migrate my HA installation to this device. The main problem here is, that synology does not run a debian 10 linux system, so i cannot use the installer.sh-script. The home-assistant core container works, but obviously without supervisor. I have set up multiple docker containers including portainer.
My question: Is it possible to install the supervised version on the already existing synology docker system?

Thanks in advance
Alex

1 Like

I believe not. Synology has too old docker version, not supported by HA anymore, while fredrike stopped to develop it’s Hass.io add-on for Syno (from this very reason). It’s not in Syno store anymore.

Your best option is to use virtual machine, that’s what i did - I’ve had my HA in docker, too. You can make backup in current installation and transfer it to a new one. I only hope that you have bfrs partition on your Syno, not ext4 (if so, you’ll have to change that).
See THIS topic.
You should add some more RAM, though (if you didn’t already). Although it works fine with 1GB RAM, it’s best to assign some more, and also Syno will work faster with more ram (when virtual machine is running)

thank you. I will try to set up a virtual machine then.

EDIT: In case people watching this thread and having the same problem, just refer to the installation page of home assistant and navigate to the alternative installation methods. There, you can download specific virtual machine environments which can be imported at the virtual machine manager in the synology web interface. Works great! I just had to change the boot mode to UEFI instead of the default setting.