Install on Synology DS216play - log permission denied

Ok, so I just got Alexa in the UK and thought I would give this a go to control my Sony Bravia TV via my Synology DS216 Play

So I’ve been learning and following the stages on the setup page https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/installation-synology/
And I’ve gotten this far and am not sure what to Google for to fix my errors…
(I’ve tried to clean up the log to hide my stupids and attempts to get this far)

Other notes, I didn’t change any variables in the hass-daemon file I just copied it direct.

[email protected]'s password: 

admin@Heathwings:~$ sudo -i
Password: 

root@Heathwings:~# cd /volume1/homeassistant

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# vi .htaccess

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# ln -s /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin python3

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# ln -s /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# chown -R homeassistant:users /volume1/homeassistant

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# chmod -R 664 /volume1/homeassistant

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# dir
total 24
drw-rw-r--  2 homeassistant users 4096 Sep 29 14:36 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root          root  4096 Sep 29 14:23 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 homeassistant users   75 Sep 29 14:36 homeassistant -> /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant
-rw-rw-r--  1 homeassistant users 5325 Sep 29 14:35 .htaccess
lrwxrwxrwx  1 homeassistant users   37 Sep 29 14:36 python3 -> /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# mv .htaccess hass-daemon

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# dir
total 24
drw-rw-r--  2 homeassistant users 4096 Sep 29 14:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root          root  4096 Sep 29 14:23 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 homeassistant users 5325 Sep 29 14:35 hass-daemon
lrwxrwxrwx  1 homeassistant users   75 Sep 29 14:36 homeassistant -> /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant
lrwxrwxrwx  1 homeassistant users   37 Sep 29 14:36 python3 -> /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# chmod 777 /volume1/homeassistant/hass-daemon

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# sh hass-daemon start
hass-daemon: line 1: ckage: command not found
Starting Home Assistant ...
sh: /volume1/homeassistant/home-assistant.log: Permission denied

Edit: pip3 from troubleshooting page
Instead of pip3 install homeassistant which didn’t work I used pip install homeassistant
But I thought I would try and get this pip3 but the following happens…

root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# python3 --version
Python 3.5.1
root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# python3 -m pip install --upgrade homeassistant
/bin/python3: No module named pip
root@Heathwings:/volume1/homeassistant# python3 get-pip.py
python3: can't open file 'get-pip.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Edit 2: Following a thread
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/error-starting-home-assistant-on-synology-for-first-time/917/2?u=dave_heath
Having had a go at working through this, deleting folders and recreating them. Interestingly I can’t save any files in the homeassitant folder, it says I have reached my quota. Even though all users have unlimited quotas.
Still getting the same ‘Permissions denied’ error as before

I went though similar problems the best way i found is to install via docker. Took me some getting used too but I wouldn’t do it any other way now. Let me know if you need some help/info.

Sadly I’m too cheap to have paid for the 216+, I only have the 216play which doesn’t have the docker package.
https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/Docker

Oh well, back to square one. Again.

Install docker at Command Line using SSH

After install docker

docker run -v /synology HAfolder:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 8123:8123 --name=HASS–0293 homeassistant/home-assistant:0.29.3

This:
-tells HA to look for config files in synologyHAfolder
-syncs time with Synology time
-sets 8123 on synology to 8123 for HA docker container
-names it HASS–0293
-installs version 29.3 of HA from docker repo

Honestly I find the docker interface for synology caused more issues than it helped…for example…recent HA versions do not show and only way to install for me was command line.

It took time to learn docker and I was only able to get things right after I stopped using synolgy interface and did all through ssh

Thanks for the reply!

I think this might be a step of learning too far into the world of command line for me, not enough time to dedicate to learning it properly.

Having seen that there is a new RasberryPi image out I might see if I can dig that back out and give it a spin.
Though all this is a bit moot till Amazon UK get IFTTT working on the Alexa…

Hi Dave, I’ve got a DS216Play did you managed to install HomeAssistant

hi @raxpa, I managed to install it on DS216play. I’ve used “Debian Chroot” package to build all python components I wasn’t able to install directly in Synology.