Install options on Proxmox (LXC)?

Since I was using Proxmox and learned about containers, both not that long before when I started with HA, I managed to get it working.
Of course the advantages (snapshots, minimal use of system resources - which is very welcome since my ‘server’ is not that well equipped) are a big pro to go down that path.
Now I’m trying to get Duck DNS working and it seems that I’m running into the disadvantages.

I am a little bit lost in the different naming & ways of installation and of course have seen the documentation but that doesn’t help me.

I am willing to start ‘from scratch’ but could use some advice about the options that I have, being on Proxmox of course.

Thanks A LOT for any input!
Nick

Take a look here.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for your replies guys!

Am I mixing things up that this method of installing is not supported/advised?
I’m under the impression that I have bumped on threads where this was stated or am I wrong?

Both methods (vm or lxc) does NOT state “You are running an unsupported installation”

The vm uses HassOS and the lxc uses Debian Buster (set-up the correct way)

AFAIK, running in LXC is NOT recommended.
So, if you are using proxmox, then use a VM.
In that VM, multiple options see https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Container
  3. Home Assistant Core
  4. Home Assistant Supervised

Each one has pros/cons. It is really a matter of personal preference based on what you know and want to do…
As I want to use debian as the underlying OS, I don’t want 1.
As I know nothing about python and venv, I can’t do 3.
If you want the facility of add-on then go for 4.
If you want to eg. use portainer to manager multiple containers in your VM go for 2.

I used to use 4, now I am with 2.

2 Likes