Install Options

What is the best install method. I have made 25+ failed attempts at installing in virtualbox with a ubuntu server install. Have tried python virtual install as well. Everytime i cannot get hass.io to work. Have tried several versions of server, have tried ubuntu desktop image as well. Everytime it fails either something cant or wont install or there is no internet connection from the host to the virtual machine.

I just want to find an install method that actually works. Any suggestions would be amazing! I have windows 10 machine. And a intel compute stick that i would prefer to install on if i can find a way that might actually work.

40€ Raspberry Pi with Hass.io. or Raspbian + Docker install.

Did you try the generic linux install?

I have Ubuntu server running HA that way.

1 Like

I have had several different installations work with VirtualBox on Windows 10. You need to set the VM network to bridged mode so the VM gets an address on your network.
Is the Intel Compute Stick considered a NUC? I think there are some installation instructions for that.

i would personally stick with something linux based as the base OS. i think you will have less compatibility issues if you do that and the install options are way easier

People have been successful installing on a Windows VM but it just seems like they have to jump thru hoops to get it working.

As suggested above just get an inexpensive Raspberry Pi and put it on there. It’s so easy even a caveman could do it. :wink:

1 Like

i followed burnsHA hassio on ubuntu. its been flawless for me. some say docker.io causes problems but i havent seen any.

i use a linux vm with hyper-v

and bridged network is a must for virtual box is a must

That was my initial plan but you cannot use a host USB port with hyper-v. That means no Zigbee or Z-Wave

There is no best install process as we all have different hardware requirements. Since you want to put it on a windows 10 system, I have no experience in that direction.

My home Assistant is on a Raspberry Pi on a shelf that I rarely see. It’s been running for 71 days. Try that on a Windows system. My installation was very simple, just downloaded the image file from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/
Flash an SD card and boot it up.

I really don’t see any advantage to using a virtual machine or Docker on a single-purpose computer, like the Raspberry.

this is true. one reason why another hypervisor may be better

I did my initial testing with VirtualBox on a Windows 10 laptop. I am now running Hassio on Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi.

Except for the ease of rolling back or upgrading without worrying about python virtual environment commands, running as a different user, etc. Docker is super simple, and makes versioning a non-issue.

:+1: for this

I run my HA on a HP 8200 Ultra Compact. I installed the latest version of Linux Mint and then followed the excellent tutorial on Youtube by BurnsHA for installing HA on Ubutu. I wanted something a bit more robust than a PI. HA runs like a dream

@anthony.legg not sure if you’re still having an issue installing but i just got done with my install and it went fairly smoothly. i followed this video:

Running on a lenovo tiny

You realize that HA is not supported at all on Windows, right? I would not recommend that.

For reference : https://jamesachambers.com/install-ubuntu-server-18-04-on-intel-compute-stick-guide/