Installation hardware question

Z-wave operates in the 900MHz spectrum, so there is no conflict there.
I don’t see WiFi in this image. But Bluetooth is also operating on the 2.4 GHz spectrum and should be separated from Zigbee.
Zigbee and Bluetooth can coexist, but with potentially lower performance. Best practice is to separate the antennas. Note that the antennas are on opposite sides of the PCB.

1 Like

RAM has no impact on system performance, except if you are low on memory and system needs to start swapping dormant memory chunks to disk. If you are operating from an SSD you should not notice any difference, but if you are running from a HDD there will be noticeable performance impact.

I suggest you start with 2Gb which should be good for a long time.

My opinion is you have a competent system and you really do not need to spend any money at this point in time.

1 Like

I tried to install HAOS last night. When I was trying to flash the ssd, I get this message, says busy or locked. See screenshot. It warned me that I’m flashing the system drive, I said yes. But fails. I am running Ubuntu on a usb stick and trying to flash the ssd in the pc. Any solutions?

Thanks. That helps

Any idea about this error?

I’ve always run Etcher from Windows. Put the SSD into a USB docking station then run Etcher.

That it is mounting as /dev/sda makes me wonder- what is the boot device? I would expect the new SSD to be mounted as /dev/sdb.

Thank you for your reply. I am booting from a USB stick where I have bootable ubuntu.
I dont have a SATA-USB adapter. I will try again tonight. If not I will have to get an adapter I guess.

You are in new territory. The only thing I have ever done with a USB stick is to install Ubuntu.
How do you have the SSD connected?

You can run Ubuntu from a USB stick without installing. My understanding is that that is one of the 2 ways described in the installation section under mini PC and NUC. The SSD is inside the PC in the SATA slot

I know that- I’ve just never run Ubuntu from the bootable thumb drive.
What does ls -al /dev/sd* show?

It may be the way I said. All I am doing is running Ubuntu from USB stick. I have selected the USB stick as the first boot device from Bios and started the machine. The machine boots from USB on Ubuntu.
At work now. Will check when I get home. Thanks

This is what shows when I run the command

Is this a new SSD? There should be only one partition for it.
Unplug the SSD and run ls -al /dev/sd* again. /dev/sda and /dev/sdb should be gone. If not then the SSD is not that drive. (This is why I always use a USB dock to flash an OS).

If unplugged and sda and sdb are gone then the SSD is not empty.

I see that you are using the desktop Ubuntu, so run disks. This will tell you what’s mounted and how.

I gave up on this. I have ordered a usb SATA adapter. Will see how it goes tomorrow.

You should be able to install etcher on Ubuntu and use it to write the home assistant image to the internal drive. That should erase all partitions and get it working. The directions are here, you just need to install the dependencies mentioned

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libfuse2

Thanks for your message. As per my previous messages, I had no issues installing Etcher and running it on ubuntu. The issue was when flashing the internal disk, it gives an error and aborts the flashing process.

Ok didn’t realize you made it that far.

I also see you bought the sata adapter, so that should solve your problem and you should be able to just use etcher on a windows machine with the drive out and attached with the cable.

If you want to try installing by booting to usb again before it comes, i haven’t installed home assistant os on a laptop myself, but I’ve had to get rid of windows and install Linux on many old machines, and home assistant os is Linux based.

Some ideas for this and things I’ve done in the past.
1- make sure the machine supports uefi boot (check the bios). Hasos won’t boot on it if it doesn’t.

2- make sure secure boot is disabled (check bios)

3- run echer with sudo to rule out any permissions issues

If still not working:

4- remove the extra partitions and create only one partition that uses the whole drive

5- reformat the drive with a Linux compatible file system

Hi thanks for your message
I have already received the cable and I will try it tonight.
One question - Do I have to format the disk before burning the HAOS using etcher. Or would the formatting happen while burning the HAOS? If I have to format, what file system should I choose? I dont have any knowledge of linux systems. I am mac and windows user. I know, what is waiting for me - YAML! lol…

Will see how it goes.

With respect to bios, I can see it supports UEFI. I cannot see any option to disable secure boot. It looks like it is an old bios firmware with no GUI.

You shouldn’t have to, but many times you end up needing to. I’d be more concerned about the partitions - I’d delete extra partitions and create a single one. You should be able to use the “disks” GUI program.

I use ext4, which is pretty standard for linux

1 Like