Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

You have 3 options.

1. Install HA Supervised (and restore your backup) and risk running an unsupported installation if you add additional software to the Pi.

2. Install HA OS (and restore your backup) and make the Pi a dedicated HA machine, try and use the available add-ons to do the others things you need.

3. Stay running HA Container and extract all of your .yaml files from the .tar backup you have and copy them into the config directory and run whatever else you want on the Pi.

Because the Supervisor is a Docker manager, and thereā€™s already two install methods that have that (and add-ons). If you want that, you use one of those methods and donā€™t use the Pi for other stuff.

With all respect. You didnā€™t say why Docker installs must miss out on add-ons, or more specifically, the supported backup/restore method (I need to restore from my backup as Iā€™m migrating to a Pi4).

Fully appreciate there are two install options that DO. But why remove critical functionality from ANY of the three install methods? That alienates people invested in Docker installs, and the (probably) good reasons they chose that method.

You have 3 options.

Thanks this is useful info. Though, still not clear on the restriction rationale. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a good reason. Just want to raise that itā€™s a massive PITA for me right now. I literally purchased an Argon case and Pi 4 for this setup (which includes Pihole and Kodi). Docker is the obvious HASS solution. BUt now I find out itā€™s been completely gutted.

• Stay running HA Container and extract all of your .yaml files from the .tar backup you have and copy them into the config directory and run whatever else you want on the Pi.

Any tips on how to do this, or where are the up to date instructions for this? Googling and forum search is a cognitive overload of out dated or incomplete instructions.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s been a while since you last did an install, so Iā€™d assume that all that has happened since you last did an install is a naming change (about 12-18mths ago). You probably used to use a version called Hass.io.

The 4 versions of HA are now;

1. HA OS - Has the Supervisor, uses docker and itā€™s own OS
  2. HA Supervised - Has the Supervisor, uses docker and only approved to run on Debian OS and a strict set of install parameters
  3. HA Container - No Supervisor, uses docker and can be installed on any OS you like
  4. HA Core - No Supervisor, runs in a venv

It seems like you may have just installed Container, I might be wrong. If you are running docker and have no Supervisor, thatā€™s the version you are running. Add-ons and the Supervisor have not been omitted from this install type, they were never apart of it.

If you open your .tar backup file with a program like WinRar, you will see a folder inside called homeassistant.tar.gz. Open that file and you will see all of you config /.yaml files. You can extract that folder and have access to all of your previously used .yaml files.

1 Like

Addonā€™s arenā€™t typical docker containers. When supervisor starts an addon it does a lot of setup work including putting them in the right network, mounting the correct folders, exposing and mapping the right ports, injecting credential and connection info as envs, etc.

Take a look here to get an idea of all the options supervisor understands. All this is provided in a yaml file by the addon developer and supervisor uses it all to get a container up and running and in a working state and keep it there.

So in short, you canā€™t restore your backup without supervisor because none of those addons will actually work without supervisor. Youā€™ll need to find your own images for the services you want to run (since ones the addons use wonā€™t work without supervisor) and follow whatever instructions the developers of those images provide to make a docker compose file.

Iā€™m sure this is all essential bureaucracy and complexity. But I just want to move my existing (happy) HA docker, with the ability to backup and utilise other addons, to a new Pi host.

You know what Iā€™m gonna do. Iā€™m a grab the SD card from my old Pi, and jam it in my new Pi. Done.

There goes a few days Iā€™m never going to get back.

If you had a previously ā€œhappyā€ HA running in docker that had backups and add-ons and now you donā€™t then you installed the wrong version of HA thus time.

Do another install and use the supervised install method and you will be ā€œhappyā€ againā€¦hopefullyā€¦

You have been told a few times now that what you think you had installed before isnā€™t what you actually had before.

HA running in a container without a supervisor NEVER EVER EVER had the ability to use add-ons or create backupsā€¦EVER. I have been running it like that in docker without a supervisor for 3 years now. It has never been that way.

Itā€™s not a beaurocratic decision. Itā€™s just a functional distinction between the two install methods.

1 Like

Are you sure you arenā€™t running supervised install? How did you do this backup?

EDIT: started my post before @finity but got distracted. He said it far more thoroughly.

Youā€™re missing the point, nothing is removed from HA Container. Something was added to it to get HAOS/Supervised.

If you were to add the features you think are ā€œmissingā€ to Container, then youā€™d have Supervised and Container wouldnā€™t exist.

No, most people invested in Docker installs want to be in control of Docker. They use that install method because they donā€™t want some other software managing their entire stack.

Youā€™re mis-remembering how you installed HA. Look in Configuration ā†’ System ā†’ Info to see your installation type. Itā€™s either one of HAOS or Supervised.

2 Likes