Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

Excellent. Just changed overnight I see. :+1:

Ok so itā€™s worth pointing out that IF you donā€™t have that logging driver set as per the above to journald that you will get an error (red text saying unsupported state with a link to ADR14) and I fully expect this will prevent future updates but I guess we will see when 0.114.2 is released. Instead of the error I am not seeing:

On existing installs you mean?

yes existing supervised installsā€¦ I just ran up an old VM now and updating the supervisor to see what happensā€¦

Was about to do the same. Might actually do a fresh VM install to test. At least weā€™ll know and can post how to troubleshoot and fix if/when updates wonā€™t work.

1 Like

looks ok. When I updated the supervisor I now see:
But I do have the update button in the dashboard and it seems to be updating
Yes it updated okā€¦

1 Like

It is an observation and the activity of the last few months seems to indicate otherwise. If it wasnā€™t true, changes that would affect this would be more widely communicated. They are not so it looks like there is a deliberate policy of making use of this method as difficult as possible. If it isnā€™t, and you want Supervised to live, you need to communicate breaking changes better.

3 Likes

I noted ā€œYou are running an unsupported installationā€. Well I was running Hass.io on Proxmox->Debian9 -> Docker-> Hass.io (well do not ask as why I have installed that way as I did my set up long before people in HA community started using Proxmox and I changed my hardware 3 times- just restore the backup from old machine to new and it all worked and even did not need to change IP or USB passthroughs I have x2).

I though the message is due to I was not on Debian 10 and latest docker so I upgraded the system in my back up machine (Dell i7-6700 where I have proxmox 6.2 and other VMs). Now
System Health
Chasis vm
dev false
docker true
docker_version 19.03.12
hassio true
host_os Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
installation_type Home Assistant Supervised
os_name Linux
os_version 4.19.0-10-amd64
python_version 3.8.3
supervisor 235
timezone Australia/Adelaide
version 0.114.4
virtualenv false
Lovelace
dashboards 1
mode storage
resources 2
views 7

Well no luck- it is showing as unsupported.

Well not sure what I need to do. I think I do not need to worry. As every time things fail I have to spend time to fix it reading and researching so what does the unsupported mean? With my install I have full control and I have migrated system hardware several times and it still work. So not sure if I should worry at all.

As the upgrade to Debian 10 did not do any change to make it supported may be I will keep my Ryzen 9 3900x (my main system for many VMs and Gaming machine) with Debian 9 and docker 18 and continue to use HA there. Any suggestions most welcome

I think this is correct.

There is a post about logging in docker - this needs to be changed somehow, but I cannot find the post now!

sudo nano /etc/docker/daemon.json

make sure :

{
    "log-driver": "journald"
}

1 Like

EDIT no answer required, it is not there by default and needs to be created.

Should that file (daemon.json) be there by default? I donā€™t have it (debian).

Thanks for that. Docker in Debian is installed on var/lib/docker not etc/docker so should I need to create daemon.jason in var/lib/docker folder instead of etc where there is no docker folder?
Thanks

Been under a rock Nick?
Check the debian install guide down the bottom or check the installation script. That creates the file. Thereā€™s also another line you need to add as well.
Failing that I did make a script to set that up I can post.

Then you do need to create a /etc/docker folder. That is where docker keeps itā€™s (non default) settings.

Sort of, I was putting up with the red notice, and had seen that logging might be the problem, but hadnā€™t implemented it. And then couldnā€™t find it again.

Worked for me now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all,
Iā€™m having a first go at installing HA. Using a Debian on a NUC.

Does the ā€œHome Assistant Supervisedā€ method described here also install docker (or require docker)?

Keen to get it up and running, but also retain control of my OS.
KP

Yes, all installations except for Home Assistant Core use docker.

The steps are listed. They include

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

Pretty obvious really.

1 Like

Guess itā€™s no surprise that I have been puzzled too with the different names/rebranding & install methods.
In the meantime it has become more clear. :partying_face:

What about adding the overview from this thread: Home Assistant Installation Methods

I have been reading for an hour and I still donā€™t understand the rationale for omitting Addons (i.e. backup/restore) a la Supervisor from Docker. I am at a total loss. The post just says Docker installs wonā€™t have supervisor. But why??? I just migrated to a new Pi, and I have a backup zip I need to restore. Itā€™s a Docker install (since my Pi does other stuff). How can I restore this backup?