Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

Great guys! Keeping Supervised is great news, but even more so is having the feeling that home assistant listens to users, not everyone does that nowadays, and it is highly appreciated.

Also missing docs structure for having in-depth documentation for integrations, such as example ZHA.

Zigbee Home Automation integration component has basic setup but no way for in-depth documenting.

Not simply many ā€œCommunity Guidesā€ but more a structured user-manual of an integration component.

There is a fantastic guide created by @kanga_who which I know has been used by A LOT of users with perfect success, myself included.

Link

My system has been running flawlessly since installing via that guide sometime last year. Follow the steps and you canā€™t go wrong

5 Likes

Big compliments on how you guys handled the situation and took the voice of the community in to consideration. Iā€™m happy that the Supervised option is here to stay. :partying_face:

Thanks!

Who is to maintain that though?
The reason for the many comments about the issue documentation is nobody to keep it current, that also goes for the integration itself.
I think with so many integrations they should look to removed them from the core and into their own repositories and be maintained including documentation by the integrations developer and not by the core HA team. Who may not even have the hardware to test it anyway.
If the integration isnā€™t kept up to date with HA releases including its documentation or abandoned then it is deprecated with a warning to the end user that it will be removed from being a loaded by HA from xxx version. The user then has to implicitly enable it for HA to load it. The onus is then on the user to work with the integration dev to fix.
Each integration could also have a rating system based on the number of open issues against it and if past a certain number it isnā€™t loaded unless the user implicitly allows it again. This would also give an idea to the user if its going to give possible issues.
Just a thought - of topic though

3 Likes

Great news!

Will you unarchive the superviced-installer and fix the script?
Would be greate!

I seem to recall a discussion about the separation of core and integrations in the Architecture repo (some time ago). I believe one of the challenges is how it would be managed given a docker environment.

If documentation was kept in a wiki which allow easy web editing (such as example MediaWiki which is used by Wikipedia) then I believe that the more people from community would help keep it up-to-date.

Speaking from experience as I was previous involved with maintaining the wiki for Kodi (formerly XBMC). I no longer have time maintaining a wiki as a whole but will still edit pages when see a fault.

1 Like

At least this document shows the last edit date

What do you mean? MediaWiki wiki pages each has easily accessed history tab which shows each edit

See example -> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki&action=history

The view history tab makes it very easy for anyone to compare revisions directly from the web page.

What I mean on the bottom of the page it shows the last edit date ( a good thing), unlike how HA currently handles itā€™s documentation.

Youā€™ve brought that suggestion up quite a few times, unfortunately that is not an option for our project, as we cannot manage branches and thus releases with a media wiki.

I understood your answer. I was answering Gamester17. I did not imply anything further.

So was I :wink:

Sweet, this decision will help me get started without spending on new hardware!

Now Iā€™ll sit tight and wait for the new Home Assistant Supervised instalation guide.

Lotā€™s of people go through Juan MTech solution. I did the same.

I have ProxMox running with an Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 LTS VM and Docker install as mentioned under the Docker installation method AKA Install Home Assistant Supervised. But thats more an ā€œexpertā€ way of doing things.

I think most people run it on a PI3/4 with Ubuntu for IoT (Ubuntu for Raspberry PI) and then do the same Docker Home Assistant Supervised install.

My experience is that its incredible fast on a PI4 and extremely stable.

In my situation because of the clients I have and secure systems I run I cannot allow any preconfigured VMs that I cannot update myself on the network because of security considerations. So no HASSOS versions for me.

I donā€™t have anything truly meaningful to add to conversation here, but I wanted to express my gratitude to the team for the decision to keep on supporting the supervised install.

I know some people do some whacky stuff with their installs and come asking for support, but Iā€™m happy the valid use cases of the supervised installs are being acknowledged. Home Assistant has grown so much over the past year or two. I fully support better definitions on what an ā€œappropriateā€ supervised install is so that the maintainers donā€™t get bogged down supporting/fixing weird edge cases.

Kudos to the team. Very happy to continue on supporting the project via Nabu Casa, even though Iā€™ve never used anything of the actual services provided by Nabu Casa haha! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent. Appreciate the clarifications!

Nice to know what is and what not is supported.

But how to migrate from an unsupported version to a supported version?
Iā€™m now using the install: Home Assistant Core in a Python Virtual Environment
Since version .58 using this one, installed from the default manual for the raspberry pi.

Curious how to get is supported now

Your current version is supported.

1 Like