Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

We’ve started the process of officially defining our installation methods and their requirements in the architecture repository.

3 Likes

Do you want discussion in a community thread, or on the PR itself?

The pull request.

1 Like

Looking at the ADR’s I see references to “Home Assistant One”.

What is that? Is it a new name of what was/is called “Home Assistant” or is it something else entirely?

Did I miss something?

Yes. The ADR for that one hasn’t been posted just yet.

3 Likes

PepsiOneLogo

Given that Core contains less than One perhaps it should be known as:

/s

But seriously, the addition of One helps to differentiate it.

5 Likes

It’s only taken 4 months of resistance, but they finally got there.

4 Likes

Glad that the supervised install will be staying. I’ve tried these methods so far:

• Raspberry Pi with HA image. Unreliable and slow.
  • VirtualBox on Ubuntu. Various issues, a faff and resource intensive.
  • ProxMox image using Whikaz script. Various issues and resource intensive.

Gone back to supervised install on an Intel NUC running Debian 10 and everything is rock solid again. And plus I’ve got plenty of headroom to install some other stuff!

Hopefully now I can think about doing some other things. Where are those paint brushes? :wink:

Cheers

Will

1 Like

I too just wanted to quickly say thanks for keeping Home Assistant Supervised alive! :partying_face:

I manage 3 different Home Assistant installations, 2 of which are “Supervised” and I’ll admit I felt a little kicked in the gut reading the previous announcement saying that was no longer going to be supported.

I refrained from saying something then but did want to say something now. So, yea, thank you for keeping “Supervised” alive and THANK YOU to all the devs & everyone who makes HA possible! :beers: :+1:

Don’t get too excited…

The ADR for the different officially supported installation methods says that for the Supervised installation to be officially supported that the machine has to be dedicated to running HA only and that no other apps can be installed on that machine (paraphrasing) - or at least that’s what I took away from it when I read it…

That’s my understanding of it as well. It requires the machine to be dedicated to Home Assistant otherwise it is considered to be unsupported. I suspect its justification is to minimize support issues.

It reminds me of those “genie in the bottle” jokes where if you don’t phrase your wish just right, the genie interprets your wish very narrowly and with unexpected consequences.

User: “I wish for HA Supervised to be supported, even on just one linux distro.”
Genie: “Your wish is granted. HA Supervised is supported on Debian.”
User: “Wow! Thanks! Now I can run Samba and ssh on Debian.”
Genie: “No, only HA Supervised is supported on Debian.”
User: “Well, $hit!”

4 Likes

Oh no, that did cross my mind… That ended up being one expensive NUC :cry:

Back to proxmox :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking! And it all felt so right for a nano second!!! :laughing:

1 Like

I wouldn’t slash my wrists yet.
OK so it’s not supported… so what does that mean in this context? It really just means as I read it that the supervisor etc will continue to be supported but if you load other stuff or don’t do updates etc then you might break something.

HA was never going to support other stuff you might install.

No thanks. I’m sticking with supervised on debian and every extra thing I run on my NUC is in docker anyway so I think I’m good.

I haven’t (yet) and I agree.

I can’t see that this really “listening” to the community. The major reasons people wanted to use supervised is:

• I have an expensive hardware that has plenty of power and I want to do other stuff with it; and
  • I don’t trust supervisor to keep ssh and samba addons working so I’d rather do them at the OS level so that they always work.

Having had supervisor fail to update recently, which killed my whole system, I was glad to have OS level ssh to do a docker pull on the supervisor. How would I do that on hassos? It seemed like no supervisor == no addons started == no ssh.

1 Like

How do you run ssh?

I use the community ssh addon but I have ssh at the host level anyway and can docker exec into the container if I really had to.

Which according to the ADR will make your system unsupported. I know you can support yourself as you know what you’re doing, but it kinda borks Supervised installs by saying if you install anything else you won’t get support.

I already know the answer to my own question, but I wonder what the illusive support is they are describing. 95% of support for issues of any type is provided by the community.

2 Likes