Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

So not quite everything is in docker. But hopefully openssh can’t be a problem as “extra software”.

This! and few more chars…

nope.

Frenck specifically replied to me in the ADR stating (about SSH) that “Those are not key programs. As they are all are available as add-ons, and thus available within the supported ecosystem.”

The system has to remain completely vanilla - nothing else installed other than the HA dependencies.

Yep, I meant on a practical level. If I could rely on the supervisor to start the addon that would have some credibility, but I can’t (see above).

PS he’ll probably respond that my supervisor update was unsuccessful because I was on an unsupported install.

Do you mean that you have had issues with HA add-ons like SSH not working correctly and you then can’t connect to the machine?

Yes, something happened with supervisor, it wouldn’t run. I had to docker pull it, then it worked. But as I understand it if supervisor fails, all addons fail.

That’s my experience as well, but not according to Frenck. Check the ADR thread.

He states my experience with that happening is basically not true.

hmmm he wasn’t specifically asked about supervisor failure. He has been now.

Your guide will need updating or adding a big fat “unsupported but always worked for us” message.

:warning: Please keep in mind that currently this installation method is not officially supported by the Home Assistant team, and therefore you are responsible for updating and managing updates and security on the base OS. This install method may cease to work at any time, so use at your own risk.

:warning: Although this installation method is officially supported, you can not install any additional software on the machine or the machine may self destruct at any moment and no support will be offered.

/s

1 Like

I don’t use openssh - it’s a debian ssh package installed with debian.

which is in the package openssh-server.

The debian option on the package screen is just ssh server. I have not/do not see any reference to openssh on my system.

openssh-server and tinysshd are the only two ssh server packages I know of for debian, and openssh has been the standard linux ssh server for (pretty well) ever.

this will tell you what you have installed

dpkg -l|grep ssh

Package: ssh (1:7.9p1-10+deb10u2)

secure shell client and server (metapackage)

This metapackage is a convenient way to install both the OpenSSH client and the OpenSSH server. It provides nothing in and of itself, so you may remove it if nothing depends on it.

Does this not mean it is based on OpenSSH?

Maybe… I’ll have to check…

Not sure how you would install HA supervised without ssh anyway so I don’t se how it could be classed as unsupported.

By sitting in front of the screen I guess…

But yeah the whole idea of a headless box not being able to run sshd before you install other stuff is - well - silly.

1 Like

And updating debian too… it’s ridiculous claiming ssh would make it unsupported… (not you Nick)

I guess it’s more anything that changes the way the Supervisor interacts with the O/S could cause an issue and would make it unsupported.

And my comment marked as off topic. Jesus wept.

Your comment has been marked off topic because it is off topic. The topic of that ADR is to define the Supervised installation method, not how add-ons are started.

The answer to your question is that the Supervisor manages everything on the system and so is also responsible for starting, updating and stopping add-ons.